VPN Question

Thread: VPN Question

VPN Question

I was looking through my DLink Routers in the tools->misc section and noticed it gave me choice about VPN:

VPN Pass-THrough
    Allows VPN connections to work through the DI-604.
    PPTP Enabled Disabled
    IPSec Enabled Disabled

can you explain what PPTP and IPSec are and whether they are a security threat

Trumpet-Eared Gentoo Freak
    Come and check out our wargame-site @ http://www.rootcontest.org
    We chat @ irc.smdc-network.org #lobby

The short answer, minus all the reading, is that many encryption protocols used by VPN (IPSec and GRE are two) are seperate from TCP/IP (for example, IPSec is protocol 50). If you have any clients on your network that need to connect to a VPN concentrator or through a firewall using VPN, you will have to allow the proper protocols to pass to make the connection (IPSec also needs UDP 500).

If you aren't making any VPN connections, I would recommend leaving them off under the general philosophy of 'If you aren't using it, don't enable it.'

/nebulus
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)

thank you both