Apache and SSL
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Apache and SSL

Apache and SSL

Can I install SSL into an existing Apache server without having to completely recompile it? I really thinking that's not p[ossible but maybe there is a way around and I just haven't stumbled across the correct answer.

Thanks for any and all help.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

Depends on which SSL package you use and how you compiled Apache...you had to have compiled apache to be able to dynamically load modules...

Is there some reason why you don't want to compile Apache again?

/nebulus
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)

Short answer: no.

Longer answer: on 2.0 and above, yes. If the 1.3 Apache server happened to be built with the "EAPI" patches, then yes.

As far as I can remember, there is a patch required to Apache 1.3 (A core patch, *not* a module) to enable it to accept mod_ssl, and hence accept SSL connections.

The reason for this is that back when the USA banned the export of encryption software, even adding hooks to an existing product to enable encryption to be added at a later date by third parties was considered to be creating encryption software. Because some of Apache's authors were in the USA, they would technically be breaking this law by doing so.

They had to maintain the interface for binary compatibility's sake.

Apache 2.0 has SSL support built in (although it isn't necessary enabled by default), and hence has no such issue. The SSL support *may* be a module (but I can't remember)

I still haven't found any help for installing this F**king modssl with Apache 2.0. I unfortunately was looking at older documentation.

I'm also running PHP4.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

The current version is Apache 2.0.46 , why would you want to stay with an old and unsecure version. Why not just upgrade to a more secure package and add ssl to it when you do it.

Anything else?

--PuRe
    Like this post? Visit PuRe\'s Information Technology Community. We\'ve also got some kick ass Technology Forums. Shop for books and dvds on LiveWebShop.com

If you could post what specific problems you are having, we might could help a little bit better...

I personally have always just used the 1.X versions of apache and the mod_ssl patches (www.modssl.org) and have always had great luck getting those servers up quickly (more because of my familiarity with doing it this way versus using 2.x). The last server I setup, I compiled Apache after using the mod_ssl patch (you pass all configuration parameters to the configuration program of mod_ssl that you will use for apache) and configured it to accept dynamic modules. I then compiled PHP into its own seperate module and dynamically load it into PHP. Had the server up and working after a couple of hours (the only reason it took that long was I was trying to add PHP in at the same time as SSL and they weren't playing nicely with each other), throw out the experimenting I did with PHP and it was down to about 15 mins...

Anyway, if you could be a little more specific about what problems you are having, I would be willing to help...

/nebulus
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)

My problem is just getting mod_ssl enabled on an Apache 2.0 server. I have not found, as of yet, a HOWTO on enabling mod_ssl on Apache 2.0

I've found many, many resources on Apache 1.3x and mod_ssl but I know that Apache 2.0 is a completely different beast altogether so those don't seem to apply. At least the instructions I gleened from various white papers says the process is different.

What would you like to know? I'm using PHP4 , OpenSSL, Apache 2.0.

This all started a day ago when I was informed I needed to be an Apache guru by noon today, weel as you can see that didn't happen so here I am, overdue on this "assignment" and I still don't know how to do this simple thing. And from what I've read it isn't that hard. Problem is nothing tells me what "it" is.....

I've never been so confounded about anything as this. I usually can get anything working with anything. Hell I've gotten an HP3000 running MPE/XL (circa 1979) printing to a winNT3.51 machine and a Novell Netware 3.12 server. But this, I'm just stumped on.
    - Samuel Johnson

Super Apache in a box

I dont know if any one ever seen wampp but its like a fully loaded pack

Apache 2.0.46, MySQL 4.0.13, PHP 4.3.2 + PEAR, Perl 5.8.0, mod_php 4.3.2, mod_perl 1.99_10, mod_ssl 2.0.46, openssl 0.9.7b, PHPMyAdmin 2.5.1, Webalizer 2.01-10, Mercury Mail Transport System for Win32 and NetWare Systems v3.32, JpGraph 1.12.1, Fastsream NetFile Server 5.6.0.511, (WEB-DAV + MOD AUTH MYSQL experimental); well suitably as server service under NT, w2k, XP Prof.

Check it out for your self apachefriends.org

Great, a german website. Not that that isn't helpful.....but.......it isn't. Thanks anyway.
    - Samuel Johnson

Thumbs up Super Apache in a box

Here is the English version of the site http://www.apachefriends.org/index-en.html