Thread: Graphics Tablets

Graphics Tablets

Ok I know there is a hardware forum but isn't a 'what do you recommend' or 'how do i' type question so i thought twas better suited to GCC

I have just purchased a my first graphics tablet and wanted to know other peoples opinions on them? Am off to a shake start as having never used one before but think it has real potential - dunno if it will ever fully take over from my trusty mouse but I think it could make certain tasks (esp graphic design type things) alot easier - what do others think?

have you purchased a tablet and are now deeply in love with it? is your mouse sitting in a drawer somewhere gathering dust? Or is it the other way round? did you buy on only so that it could find itself on eBay a week later? or do you use mouse & tablet together?

what have you found to be the disadvantages/advantages?
    and does the handwriting recognition software really work?

v_Ln

v_Ln if i may ask which one did you get and what size ... one of Wacom's?? I have an A5 size wacom 'clone' type (one of the girls at work has an A4 oversize one which she doesn't use - I'm trying to 'persuade' her to.. err... let me borrow it ) .

To be truthful I still use my mouse more than anything especially if I'm just doing programming, playing games etc. However I do use the graphics pad if I'm drawing in Photoshop or doing something arty... if you're doing freehand drawing (2D or 3D) a graphics pad can be an absolute godsend. The prime advantage (as far as graphics are concerned) is the similarity to using a normal pencil/paintbrush and the amount of control you can get e.g try drawing a staright line with a mouse and then try it with a graphics pad. The way you can vary pressure (and hence thickness) of a line with a graphics pad is also very good for artistic effect and drawing (using an airbrush effect with a graphics pad is wonderful). I haven't done much in the way of CAD work (played around with it for a few months) but again I found a graphics pad really helpful in terms of fine control of the cursor etc. However graphics pads do take more than a bit of getting used to - the first few weeks can be a bit weird and this can put a lot of folks off.

The handwriting recognition software does work (although it depends upon what you have - some are better than others) but in common with voice recognition you usually need to train the computer to recognise your handwriting - can be a little tedious to begin with. One word of advice though... if you have a package with the 'cybersign' screensaver or similar (its a screensaver that locks the desktop with the 'password' being your signature which is entered on the graphics pad) - DON'T use it unless you have a very reproducible signature... I don't care to think about the times I have locked myself out because of the amount my signature changes everytime I write it .

have fun with it

Z
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes

Graphic Tablets are great however a mouse will always be a mouse. I use my mouse for everyday work and I don't think I will ever give it up. Unless something better comes around.

However, if you are doing CAD designs like I do sometimes and other drawings as mentioned by zonewalker, there's nothing better than a graphics tablet. It gives you awesome control and accuracy once you get use to it. The other thing, the one I have allows tracing. You just lift the mat and place a drawing under it. That allows me to reproduce drawings very accurately. I can't do that with a mouse.

So, if you like drawing and design then you have a very good piece of equipment. Hang on to it. But for everyday stuff... nothing beats a mouse.

I hope that helps.

Guidance...
    - The mind is too beautiful to waste...
    Cutty

GreekGoddess
    I recently just invested in an Intuos2 and sold my Graphire2...which wow...what a difference just an upgrade can make.

Check this out: http://www.wacom.com/productinfo/differences.cfm

I can't tell you though how much easier this has made designing for me, as well as how much faster I can create strokes that I would have had to apply layer styles to achieve, or sit there undoing mouse strokes until I got it right. I think the most amazing thing is the pressure sensitivity, especially with character design. I love to doodle, and that's probably the best way to get acquainted with everything. It recognizes the tilt of the pen and my stroke and it's just awesome.

I have to agree with zonewalker though...a mouse is a mouse...and no matter how much I love my tablet and pen, it stays with Photoshop.

I think overall, price is the biggest disadvantage of the tablets. They're going at a good price on E-bay if you don't mind the fact that they are used or refurbished, you might even be lucky to find a brand new one, never opened.

mines a genuis (had never heard of them either) didn't want to fork out too much on a first sorta trial purchase - size wise the tablet itslef is a lil smaller than A5 and its got a 512 pressure sensitivity
    With it being my first one i was really going for price more than anything else as it was sorta an impulse buy - i had been thinking of gettin one for a while but it was always a low priority but after taking my secong lot of ram back to store as wouldn't work in my machine (think the slots on mother board are fried >_< i decided instead of taking a refund i would throw a lil bit extra cash on top and get a tablet instead

been doing some serious upgrading to system recently - mostly periphrials i had to leave in office when i moved (scanner, printer, cd-rw, new monitor, new speakers, cd labeler, usb hub broadband modem::arriving tues ::, geforce4 mx, 56k ::to keep me going for the 2 weeks till broadband was up and running:: - & now a graphics tablet) am hoping to get video capture card next couple of weeks oh and i relaced the ide cables and fitted a new dvd drive before leaving tees
    might as well have got new pc only thing that aint new is motherboard, ram (still sd as well >_<) network card and processor (pentium 3)
    over next couple of months tho am thinking am gonna rip it apart for parts and build new pc with new motherboard and better processor - might stick an old graphics card and a wireless network card into old pc when i rip out bits for new pc tho so i can have it set up somewhere discreet in bedroom just as an over grown entertainment centre - stick a tv out card in it or something so can just plug it into tv rather than monitor so dont have it taking up space as well - know will lose alot in image clarity but if am just going to be using it as over grown cd/video/dvd player will do fine - then link it over wireless with main machine in study

but thats if alison lets me - lol
    not a single mans pad anymore gotta clear it with better half who is pulling her hair out at the min cause of comp chat - been doing so much upgrading etc that i think she is gettin bored of hearing about it - oh well

v_Ln

LOL a well considered out purchase then v_Ln... the amount of times I wonder into a computer shop and go... 'oooh that'd be nice'... my g/f insists on coming in with me now just so she can drag me away from the little gizmo's ... not fair - I agree with GG, price is probably the biggest disadvantage

GG.... intuos2.... I'm jealous ... that's all I'm gonna say - I like the layout for 'dirty little secrets' by the way

Z

PS v_Ln .. LOL, I sympathise as far as alison goes re: getting bored by the comp chat... keep at it eventually she'll just roll her eyes at the mention of your other 'beloved' and say 'yes dear'.... that's when you can sneak in the odd gizmo when she's not looking - normally works for me anyway (unless she comes shopping with me)
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes

well am starting to love it
    wasn't too sure at first but have barely touched mouse all day (cept when am smoking can't be dropping ash onto new tablet) lol
    but am doing all my usual things with it and its working out fine....photoshop, flash, surfing
    its cool with them all - only prob am find ing is if I go to start typing anything i got set it down....not a big deal but it takes a whole 0.25secs to put it in the lil holder bit when before i just let go off mouse....hmmmm suppouse i could get used to typing while holding it but dont think would be able to touch type then - not that am very good at that now anyways - hehe

v_Ln

GreekGoddess
    Eh, valhallen...don't worry about ever putting the pen down again. I've found a solution:

http://half-qwerty.com/

One handed typing

cyber freaks of the world will be partying now!!!!

v_Ln