Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: End Task Explorer in Win 98

So... Does this mean it's safe to do what I said?

well.....if I were you I wouldn't close explorer...or "systray"...actually I never close anything I don't recognize unless I absolutly have to. But as long as you don't close stuff that's vital to the OS then you should be safe. Just find out which programs are vital and don't close those. Also, there's a better way to monitor your computer's performance. There's a tool that I'll post a link to in a minute.

-edit-
    It's called Si Meter and it monitors a whole lot of stuff, but on the down side it *does* use up some resources but it doesn't seem to use much. The link is http://www.simeter.com/ and the program was recently endorsed by the show "The Screen Savers".

Thanks for the effort, but I use Windows 98 and this program isn't compatible with that.

You CAN close explorer.exe and systray, but who knows what might happen. It seems that Windows 98 reacts differently everytime you do something like End Task on it. Just make sure if you do it a lot, to do a system defragmentation now and then also. Because I have a feeling that End Task probably throws 98 out of control.

The only down side to End Tasking explorer.exe is if the OS won't reload it and you can't get to a run command to run it, then you have to totally restart your system.

Just a thought...
    ~AciD
    [shadow]There is no right and wrong, only fun and boring...
    Formatting my server because someone hacked into it sounds pretty boring to me...
    That\'s why it\'s all about AntiOnline.com!
    [/shadow]