playing old games

Thread: playing old games

playing old games

Hey, I'm currrently running win xp pro, I was wondering if there's anything I can do to play old dos/win95/98 games, that cannot run under xp. Is there a windows emulator or something like it.

Have you tried XPs compatibility mode?? I find it works for most older programs...

Right Click on the executable
    Click on Properties
    Click the compatibility
    Check the box next to "Run this program in compatibility mode for:"
    Select your OS choice from the drop down box
    Click OK
    If this doesn't suit you, set-up a second partition with Win98 on it to play your games, or even easier.. install VMWare and set-up a win98 VM for gaming..
    IT Blog: .:Computer Defense:.
    PnCHd (Pronounced Pinched): Acronym - Point 'n Click Hacked. As in: "That website was pinched" or "The skiddie pinched my computer because I forgot to patch".

there is a DOS emulator running on either *nix or windows available here

However I'd try HTRegz suggestion first - in any case most Win9x games will still play under XP... and I have got DOS games to run under XP without any tweaking at all (Sim Tower for example). There are some games which won't play on XP (at least I have never got them to play) because they weren't coded very well in the first place (e.g. Black Moon Chronicles from Ubisoft if I remember correctly)...

What are you trying to get working?

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes

central il
    I found a VM ware install of 95/98 works great. especialy because you can tweak the processor and memory usage.
    Who is more trustworthy then all of the gurus or Buddha’s?

Beverwijk Netherlands
    knoppix comes with wine

but hey then you'll be running linux to play windows games..

life is funny
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

Actually to run all my old DOS games and what not I just use emulators that I randomly find online and put them on my Dell Axim PocketPC... runs really nice and it's about the right processor power so everything isn't too fast or too slow. Plus the thing works great for NES/Sega/GameBoy/etc types of emulators!

Just a thought...
    [shadow]There is no right and wrong, only fun and boring...
    Formatting my server because someone hacked into it sounds pretty boring to me...
    That\'s why it\'s all about!