Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Removing Downloaded Program Files?

Question Removing Downloaded Program Files?

Good evening everyone---

First, I will state that I'm using WinXP Home and IE6...

I was wondering if anyone could please tell me how to get the files within the C:\Windows\Downloaded Program Files folder to appear? It used to display all the active x controls and plugins that I had downloaded, but now it shows zero items? However when I right click on the folder and choose properties it says it contains 6 files.

I would like to get these files to appear, so that I can right click on them and choose the remove option.

If it isn't possible to get these items to appear, is there some command I can execute in order to remove/unregister these active x controls/plugins?

Much Thanks in advance!

P.s. Sorry if I posted this message in the wrong forum category.

open the folder>tools>Folder Options...>View>Show hidden files

Go to the folder. Click on tools. Click on folder option. Click on the tab "View" Click on show hidden files and folders. Click apply.
    ~Amorphous~

I tried this, but still nothing...hmm. Any ideas?

Banned
    They should show up by default and those are programs downloaded, like Yahoo Pool and etc. ... if you're trying to get rid of your internet images or something like that please post...

= Cheers, jag291 =

how about the old dos fail safe... open a command prompt go to the directory in question and attrib -h *

Yeah, they should show up by default...that's why I'm so puzzled. I even downloaded a few active x controls to see if they would appear, but they don't. I can navigate to the folder through a command prompt and then type DIR and it lists all the files, but I just cant see them in that Downloaded Program Files folder --- weird!

Thanks HTRegz, I'll try that...

is "hide protected operating system files" checked? a control is a system file!?!
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

The files in the Downloaded Program files are not hidden (except for desktop.ini).
    However these are the files that some activeX component would like to use, not the activeX entry itself.
    The activeX entries are held in the registry, which is what is displayed when you open this folder.
    Try this for size as to how to remove an activeX control: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=154850

So I suspect the registry entries have been deleted without cleaning up the folder, which explains why you have files left there.
    Selecting 'Properties' and 'Dependency' from this folder (for a valid registry entry) will tell you which files are required for that activeX control.
    No valid registry entries means this folder will display as empty under WinXP, whereas a DIR will display the files that were originally required.

Tedob1: Nope, the "hide protected operating system files" option is not checked.

darkes: I took a look in the registry, and I found an entry for each active x control that should be displayed in the Downloaded Program Files folder, but I guess they aren't corresponding with each other properly.

I checked out that microsoft support link that you posted, and it suggested that I remove the active x control/plugins, by removing it (if listed) under add/remove programs in the control panel...but alas they weren't listed. It also suggested navigating to the Downloaded Program Files folder and right clicking on the active x control that I want to remove, by right-clicking on the file and choosing 'Remove'...ha, but there isn't anything to right-click on. I just can't win!