Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Removing Downloaded Program Files?

It's a gas!
    If you can view the files in DOS then just remove them in DOS.
    Do you have to remove them using the GUI?

r3b00+: Yeah, I can see them in DOS.....but I need to visually see them so that I can right-click on them and choose the 'Remove' option (to fully remove not only the files I'm able to see, but all of their dependicies on my system too).

I just wish there was some command or something that does the same thing as right-clicking on these files and choosing remove.

Just a thought, but is the entry in your registry for activeX controls pointing to the normal place?

If you search the registry for "ActiveXCache", you'll see where WinXP is storing the files - the default being "Downloaded Program Files". When you download an activeX control, you will normally see files added to this folder - the only exception being an activeX control that doesn't need any additional files.

If you want to start afresh you can delete the activeX entries from the registry, together with the entire "Downloaded Program Files" folder, which will get re-created. However, I'd advise doing a backup of your registry and the "Downloaded Program Files" folder before doing this

darkes: I searched the registry for 'ActiveXCache', and found several entries. The entries indicated that it was indeed storing the files in the default Downloaded Program Files folder...hmm I'm just still stumped as to why they aren't appearing...

Someone suggested that I download a program called "Hijack This!" from http://www.tomcoyote.org/hjt/

Are you guys familiar with "Hijack This!"? If so, is it reliabe and safe to use?

Thanks again for all of your help! Can't tell you how much I appreciate it!!!!!

Don’t know anything about that program.

There are some other things you can check.
    Try searching for *.ocx - this will list all the activeX controls you have installed. I guess the ones you installed recently didn’t need any additional files in the Downloaded program files folder.

You can get a good idea of what those files in the Downloaded program files folder are.
    To do this open the command prompt, and type cd "\windows\downloaded program files" (with the quotes!). Now typing dir will list the files for you.
    You’ll probably find some dll & exe files, and perhaps some inf files. The inf files are text files and you can view them by typing type xxx.inf, which will echo the text back to your command prompt window. The names of the files & the comments in the inf file should give you a clue as to what is lurking there.

You can also try searching the registry for references to the exe and dll files, which may also help you work out what they are. Most likely scenario is that the 6 files you have there have somehow got out of sync with the activeX control, and you can probably safely delete them.

Just wanted to update you all concerning the problem I had...

I don't know how or why, but the files have FINALLY appeared like they are supposed to!

I guess my computer got scared knowing that we were all working on the case!

Thanks again guys, I really appreciate the help!