Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No Free Music??

Exclamation No Free Music??

I watched the news today and they said something about the music downloads
    they say that people download 6 billion music files over kazaa each month
    and they wanna eliminate the free music on web
    That just sucks big time
    What do you think??

i think its great the affect it has had on my bandwirth. scanning the last quadrant of the ip range im in now i find only 5 kazaa users compared to the usual 15-19.

i think the RIAA sucks, the recording ind. as we know it should cease to exist and kids that can't get what they want without an easy to use gui should not get what they want and stop screwing up the internet for the rest of us. they're only giving the riaa and the federal government a greater foothold into our lives.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Disgruntled Postal Worker fourdc's Avatar
    I read the full page ad in the NY Times today. In a sense you can understand if I go into a store and shoplift the CD, I have denied financial gain for the store, the distrib, the musician, the tech crew, the songwriters etc etc. If I download it off the web without paying for it, I'm still denying payment for services.

Every industry has some form of revenue protection.

The RIAA pissed me off a few years ago when DAT tapes were the rage. They had suggested a "tax" on blank media to benefit "starving" musicians. What if I had used the tapes for data, would I have still had to pay the tax.

If I were musically inclined and was producing music, I would want to get paid for my efforts. This is one of those issues that we will all have to find the balance point and agree on it.
    ddddc

"Somehow saying I told you so just doesn't cover it" Will Smith in I, Robot

There was something on the news, that a 15-20 year old teen, went to jail for downloading a movie (from kazaa), the teen is staying in jail for 18 months JUST for a movie. Just wanted to share that .

Cya
    First you listen, then you do, finally you teach.
    Duck Hunting Chat
    VirtualConvenience
    RROD

GreekGoddess
    I'm guilty of being an avid Kazaa user. However, I was checking out RoadRunner Rhapsody the other day, and really it's not too bad of an offer. The basic package starts out at 4.95 a month with limited usage to the songs...I think it's 6.95 a month for the full package, I could be wrong.

This is from the page I read:

What is RHAPSODY?

RHAPSODY is the critically acclaimed music service that gives you unlimited access to over 20,000 albums right from your PC. Listen to complete albums, create custom playlists, build your own radio stations, burn your own CDs, and much more! Why should you try RHAPSODY? Read on!
    The Most Music
    RHAPSODY has more music available than any other service -- over 20,000 albums and 300,000 tracks from all five major labels and more than 100 independent labels.
    The Best Listening Experience
    RHAPSODY has been designed with users in mind, and critics have consistently rated it as one of the best listening experiences on the web.
    Better Technology
    RHAPSODY's patent-pending technology is optimized for broadband. This enables us to deliver instant, CD quality music (128 kbps) without waiting for downloads. It's an experience no other service can match.
    Reliable Music Content
    Since we get our music directly from the source, you always get what you expect. No bad rips. No mislabeled files. Just the music you want, when you want it.
    Premium Sound Quality
    Unlike some services, RHAPSODY delivers CD quality sound (128 kbps) through both the on demand and radio modes of the service. You'll get great sound no matter what you're listening to.
    Flexible CD burning
    As RHAPSODY subscriber, you can burn complete albums or custom mixes for a simple per-track fee. No confusing packages or additional subscriptions needed.
    The Internet's Best Radio
    With RHAPSODY, you can tune in to over 60 channels of commercial-free radio. Better yet, you can create your own stations based on your favorite artists.
    Comprehensive Music Info
    Music information is central to the RHAPSODY experience. We provide the best music information in the business, all carefully organized and at your fingertips.
    Access From Any PC
    Once you have an account, you can install RHAPSODY on as many PCs as you like. Access your music collection from anywhere in the world, no sync required.
    100% Legal
    RHAPSODY's music is fully licensed, so the artists you listen to get paid for their work and you can enjoy the music without wondering if you're breaking any laws, moral codes or artists' bank accounts.
    I believe it's 75 cents per song, which if you do the math for the average cost of a cd per the tracks on the cd...it evens out.

OR...you can go buy the cd, pop it in your cd tray and listen to it instead. But it's still not a bad way of playing it straight.

I have been deeply conflicted on this issue for quite a while. I'll admit I download music, but I would be more than willing to pay for the music I download -- so long as it's reasonable. As it stands now, I would have to pay $15 for a CD (of which, on average, only 10% I actually enjoy) that contained the 1 or 2 songs I want, or I can pay up to $7.00 for a CD-single. Ridiculous. I feel that music sharing is a way of streamlining the music industry. I don't want the fluff that is used to fill dead air on CD's that contain 1 or 2 good songs, but I am willing to pay a fair price for the music I enjoy. I think Apple's iTunes and Roadrunner's Rhapsody have the right idea. The EFF had this to say about the latest salvo by the RIAA:

Quote originally from the EFF. Link found here
    "It's plain that the dinosaurs of the recording industry have completely lost touch with reality," said Fred von Lohmann, EFF senior staff attorney. "At a time when more Americans are using file-sharing software than voted for President Bush, more lawsuits are simply not the answer. It's time to get artists paid and make file-sharing legal. EFF calls on Congress to hold hearings immediately on alternatives to the RIAA's litigation campaign against the American public."
    Give 'em hell, EFF. I've got your back.
    /* You are not expected to understand this. */

Ok, I do download music from kazaa but that's only to listen if a band I heard of is good, when it is, I buy one of their cd's. But I wouldn't care if this free music dissappears.
    The above sentences are produced by the propaganda and indoctrination of people manipulating my mind since 1987, hence, I cannot be held responsible for this post\'s content - me

www.elhalf.com

My personal OPINION is that in some way it is wrong. But at the same time this is the thing I liked about Napster there were plenty of songs that I couldn't find any where else and only on Napster. At the same time there are bands that support these sights so I don't understand why the Federal Gvt. is being such a pain about it. The thing that is really pissing me off about this one

Enter Mad Whizkid2300
    IS THAT SOME GENUIS CAME UP WITH THE BRILLIANT IDEA THAT YEAH WE ARE GOING TO DESTROY THE COMPUTERS OF THE PEOPLE THAT GET CAUGHT DOWN LOADING SONGS OFF THE NET. LIKE HELL YOU ARE I PAID A LOT OF MONEY FOR MY LABTOP AND IF YOU DESTROY IT I WILL LAUNCH THE BIGGEST LAWSUIT I CAN AND SUE THE LIVING S... out of the gvt.

Enter Whizkid2300
    Sorry, this one really makes me mad thereis another thing that i will post on here I just have to finish reading the article get this a license to HACK. I haven't finished the article yet so I am not going to talk about it yet but I will be back and report my findings.

Whizkid2300

Hmmmm.

How does gore feel about the music industry?

A song by NOFX will give you the answer:

NOFX: "Dinosaurs Will Die"

Kick back watch it crumble
    See the drowning, watch the fall
    I feel just terrible about it
    That's sarcasm, let it burn

I'm gonna make a toast when it falls apart
    I'm gonna raise my glass above my heart
    Then someone shouts "That's what they get!"

For all the years of hit and run
    For all the piss broke bands on VH1
    Where did all, their money go?
    Don't we all know

Parasitic music industry
    As it destroys itself
    We'll show them how it's supposed to be

Music written from devotion
    Not ambition, not for fame
    Zero people are exploited
    There are no tricks, up our sleeve

Gonna fight against the mass appeal
    We're gonna kill the 7 record deal
    Make records that have more than one good song
    The dinosaurs will slowly die
    And I do believe no one will cry
    I'm just ****ing glad I'm gonna be
    There to watch the fall

Prehistoric music industry
    Three feet in la brea tar
    Extinction never felt so good

If you think anyone would feel badly
    You are sadly, mistaken
    The time has come for evolution
    **** collusion, kill the five

Whatever happened to the handshake?
    Whatever happened to deals no-one would break?
    What happened to integrity?
    It's still there it always was
    For playing music just because
    A million reason why
    All dinosaurs will die
    All dinosaurs will die
    All dinosaurs will die
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Punk Rock! Because we ****ing hate the music industry and are destroying it one by one and having lotsa fun! -gore
    and as always: **** SCO.

I download to sample the artist, then if I like it i'll go buy it, atleast if i have enough money to. You'd think that the Music Industry would consider dropping the price of CD's a few dollars first and seeing if that helps.