I need a few more opinions, got one?

Thread: I need a few more opinions, got one?

AO Part Timer

I need a few more opinions, got one?

Long story short.
    I have norton internet security 2003. I actively read the logs. A few days ago I was scanned by a pc in Kenya, the host was looking for commonly used backdoors. I've been scanned several times before this also. I think my security is pretty tight, so I never even gave the daily scans any thought. Yesterday I figured since I got some free time and it's been a long time since I've played on then net so I scanned him back . I used a simple little scanner called Nmap. Ever heard of it? We'll anyway. I discovered this pc was either a "zombie" or the kiddie had infected himself with a backdoor. Now, I am not going to attack this pc. The question is this, should attempt to contact the owner of the pc. Or should I contact the isp? Even more so how could I determine if this person is either a victim or a kiddie?

Thanks for any advice ideas or opinions.

Be safe and stay free
    Your heart was talking, not your mind.
    -Tiger Shark

If it was me I'd probably leave it alone since you wouldn't even be able to understand each other. You could try to contact the ISP but I doubt that they would really do anything about it.

Thats my opinion, but in the end its yours that counts.
    =

Disgruntled Postal Worker fourdc's Avatar
    My opinion?

You're ugly!

A second opinion,

So am I

Just kidding I'd ignore it.
    ddddc

"Somehow saying I told you so just doesn't cover it" Will Smith in I, Robot

Banned

Re: I need a few more opinions, got one?

Originally posted here by dopeydadwarf
    Now, I am not going to attack this pc.

Thanks for any advice ideas or opinions.
    First, I'll be completely honest with you... if someone was scanning my computer and I found out that they had a backdoor, I'd have some fun with them. I would change a few things, play around, see if I could freshin my 'skills' (none what-so-ever) up a bit... but then afterwards I'd leave him a note somewhere explaining what's going on.. like "You have a backdoor on your PC." or something like that.

Secondly, thats my opinion so ... don't have to do it.

= Cheers, jag291 =

My opinion?

You're ugly!

A second opinion,

So am I

Just kidding I'd ignore it.
    Gee someone beat me to the joke.. darn..

As for the prob dopeydadwarf.. Ignore is my cool state responce..
    warm state responce?.. Notify his ISP.. if he is a victem he will be ok .. if he is a scriptkiddy.. pray they haven't introduced the death penalty for hacking ..nah sry.. he will have the crap scared out of him..

Now for the hot headed and likely to get yourself into trouble approach.. Assume he is using Win95/98 edit his Autoexec.bat .. to include a text about how Anti-Virus XYZ has detected a backdoor etc etc..end with a "Pause" so he needs to hit anykey to continue..

I recomend the cool head at worst the warm head approach..

but I think I am uglier than fourdc.. but thats just my opinion..

Cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Flash M0nkey
    or if its sub7 or something like it they usually have a remote deletion option you could log on leave him a msg (simple html file in his startup folder if he's on windows) and then delete the backdoor for him - he would still need to do a full scan of his pc to make sure there was nothing else there but that would cure one bit of it for him

v_Ln

AO Part Timer
    Thanks for the advice, opinions and jokes. I may have to think on this one for a few more days. The evil in me says screw with him. I could make him piss down his leg, as a few of you have suggested. The white hat tells me to contact his isp. Like some of you have also suggested. Maybe I'll throw everything I got at this guy and see if he is just a user or a kiddie. None the less thanks for your time.
    Your heart was talking, not your mind.
    -Tiger Shark

Banned
    The ISP wont do nothing about it... so i would just leave it
    but if the same guy does it again... and again
    then you got something to worry about
    and then contact the ISP

That's not totally true scriptkiddie18. I know around here if the ISP is told that you are port scanning, that they will then keep an eye on your computer. Then when they catch you doing it they will kill your Internet connection until they figure out what they are going to do with you.

I personally would try contacting the ISP, just for the fact that it might be a victum who needs their computer looked at. And should get dealt with before they end up being part of a DOS and really have problems to stress over for awhile.

Just a thought...
    ~AciD
    [shadow]There is no right and wrong, only fun and boring...
    Formatting my server because someone hacked into it sounds pretty boring to me...
    That\'s why it\'s all about AntiOnline.com!
    [/shadow]

First, I'll be completely honest with you... if someone was scanning my computer and I found out that they had a backdoor, I'd have some fun with them. I would change a few things, play around, see if I could freshin my 'skills' (none what-so-ever) up a bit... but then afterwards I'd leave him a note somewhere explaining what's going on.. like "You have a backdoor on your PC." or something like that.
    Jaguar: I think that what dopeydwarf is saying, is that the person that hes been getting scanned from has some backdoors open on his computer, and that someone might be using his computer to do the scans from.

At least I think thats what hes saying.
    =