ip hiding

Thread: ip hiding

Lightbulb ip hiding

Want to find out how one can hide their ip address with Win xp and DSL.

No BS in that question.

The only way that I really know how to hide your IP is to use a anonymous public proxy server.
    www.freepublicproxies.com then click on the proxy list.

When you say hide your IP, I assume you want your IP hidden from websites ect.

By using a public proxy server your computer sends your compters request to the internet through another computer that acts on your behalf.

For example
    If you using a proxy server with the IP address of 192.168.0.1 and your computers IP is 208.180.150.12, then which ever website you go to will think your IP is 192.168.0.1 and not your real one.

Since your running XP I'm assuming your running IE. go to tools-->internet options-->connections--> then highlight your connection and select settings. After that select the box that says Use a proxy server for this connection. Type in the IP and the port number of the proxy your using. Of course you will find the IP and port number at the website I gave you above.

Hope I helped you.
    =

You could always get a router with NAT capabilities, like a linksys. I almost always use proxies while i'm surfing the net, and i would'nt trade my router for anything.

Quote:

Network Address Translation (NAT) translates multiple IP addresses on the private LAN to one public address that is sent out to the Internet. This adds a level of security since the address of a PC connected to the private LAN is never transmitted on the Internet. Furthermore, NAT allows the Cable/DSL Router to be used with low cost Internet accounts, such as DSL or cable modems, where only one TCP/IP address is provided by the ISP. The user may have many private addresses behind this single address provided by the ISP.

Source: Linksys.com

Thanks to both of you.