Thread: Security/How it gets defeated\How to prevent it

Security/How it gets defeated\How to prevent it

Ive been reading a lot of tutorials lately, sometimes ill just come online to read. Trying to strive ,and bettering myself.Do you guys have any links wher ei cana ctually learn,cause most of them are crap if i should say.I wanna know how defeated how to prevent so i can really learn. I would like ithe linsk from newb level to the highest tyvm.

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    Lots and lots and lots of reading. That is what a good portion of this entire site is about. What you just asked takes years to learn. You can't be an expert overnight. Read anything you can. Learn as much as you can. No one site will tell you everything because it can't. And read books like Hacking Exposed and other books on security. Then, when you have a specific question, come back and ask it.
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

first step to understanding is the ability to read and write

Wikkid,

Iam in the same boat. If its any help there are a few good articles on astalavista. Just make sure your box is protected when you log onto it. A good place to start is at home. Read the articles on social engineering which are a complete eye opener. **** iam an it professional and i'd never given half of it a thought! good luck!

Smile

Keep on reading. If you don't score on www.google.com then try searching for book titles on www.amazon.com and sort by "Best Review." You may want to see if your local library has copies of the books you are interested in. If you decide to buy, Amazon has used copies at usually half the price. Plus you can always sell the books you buy back.

Try Counter Hack by Ed Skoudis. Someone tipped me off to it the other day in a posting.

trial and error brother. it's always nice to have a scratch box of your own in your lab. trying different things in an isolated environment. this is a constant learning exercise. i think security in general is like art of war by sun tzu (i was flamed so hard before on securityfocus for saying that ) but i honestly believe it is just that. we have to evaluate and train our minds to understand what others are thinking to protect and perhaps defeat, or retreat. rather then picking up "some hack book", what i did was read alot of manuels back from the phreaking days, and i've just never stopped reading the basic manual on how to do things.

for good reading material, i would check out cert.org or sans.org. you could always find interesting things to read at most university's research site. you have to remember, most of their courseware, at part comes from many governmental projects, etc...

-w0rm3y

reading would help you understand some of terms, and "doing" would help you to understand more when you read and digest all you read in your mind. Keep Trying

if any one wanted to understand SUN TZU, you have to do a little bit of research of chinese background

A polite word of advice "grasshoppers" when you see the date flashing at the top of a post, it is generally "past its sell by (merchandising) date"

This does not apply to threads that are "sticky" (permanent) or IMHO tutorials, which logically should be kept up to date.

Cheers