Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: .bat file that erases windows

Red face .bat file that erases windows

last night i was screwing around and made a bat file that erases windows useing the "deltree/y c:\windows" command.
    i then scanned it with my av and it said it was fine no virus
    so my ? is how do you protect your self from a a file that will erase your fiels but its not a virus
    i dont go into dos and run the edit program on every file i download so is there a program out there that checks for that kind of thing?
    [blur]Y R U U[/blur]
    You\'r just a bit nothing more.
    oso_1_ has been assimilated!
    ZeTtA bYtE has been assimilated!

you could not run them for starters. Im really not sure on howto scan for them, but you can just right click them and goto edit and or open with word/note-pad and just view the contents withought running them, instead of going into a dos shell every time. hope that helps some.
    The internet, not just for stalkers and pervs, but for computer geeks too!

You'll seldom see a batch file alone for download these days.. and usually if you download a batch file it's a good idea to see what it does if you don't trust the site. It's true that an exe designed to delete files isn't classified as a virus and won't be detected, however system files and files that are in use won't be deleted. I'm sure you could do some damage still, but you'd be able to recover. If someone ran a batch file that deleted files on their system.... I'd prolly laugh at them... It's not something you should come by very often, probably never unless you're dealing with malicious websites and in that case it's your own fault.

The definition of a virus is a file that can replicate its own code. A malicious batch file has to be run by the "victim" so it isn't really much of a threat. Even if you were to rename it like readme.bat, anyone who knows anything will edit the file before running anything with a .bat extension. Also as HTRegz said, you can't delete windows entirely while in windows because many of the files are in use.
    -NeuTron

Well seeing as though a batch file isn't an executable , nav can't really help you much . But to see it's contents what you would have to do is to right click on the batch file and click 'edit'.
    Then you can see if it contains any malicious commands.
    "Serenity is not the absence of conflict, but the ability to cope with it."

Not that I would try it... seeing as I can't find my Virtual PC of Windows XP... but don't OS's like Windows XP and 2000 have the "smarts" to know not to delete the Windows folder? I know it won't let you format the drive through Windows.

Just a thought...
    ~AciD
    [shadow]There is no right and wrong, only fun and boring...
    Formatting my server because someone hacked into it sounds pretty boring to me...
    That\'s why it\'s all about AntiOnline.com!
    [/shadow]

Re: .bat file that erases windows

Originally posted here by ZeTtA_bYtE

last night i was screwing around and made a bat file that erases windows useing the "deltree/y c:\windows" command.
    i then scanned it with my av and it said it was fine no virus
    so my ? is how do you protect your self from a a file that will erase your fiels but its not a virus
    i dont go into dos and run the edit program on every file i download so is there a program out there that checks for that kind of thing?
    I'm betting that if you ran it many of the files would remain. No doubt it would hurt your system but core windows components would remain. Format c:\ /u (u = unconditioanl for more windows) might be more effective. But like NeuTron said
    The definition of a virus is a file that can replicate its own code. A malicious batch file has to be run by the "victim" so it isn't really much of a threat.
    It does not replicate and it is run from the user. Your "virus" is little different then typing deltree /y c:\windows from the cmd line. Later versions of m$ products and security wrappers make it impossible for end users to do what you describe. I once took a taining class where the computer was so locked down I could not do anything (no start->run; no access to c drive from all standard access methods; I could not even go into office and select open and then right click on something and say send to command line). If you want to you can very much lock down m$ systems -slthough a degree of trust is nice.

Cheers,

-D
    If you spend more on coffee than on IT security, you will be hacked. What\'s more, you deserve to be hacked.
    -- former White House cybersecurity adviser Richard Clarke

How often do you download a batch file? And when you do, you're not curious/paranoid enough to do a right click, "edit" to check out what it might do to your PC.

I'm with HTRegz. If you happen to run a batch file that is damaging to your PC, it's your own fault.

honest why is that so hard to check the source code out? You dont have to goto edit just right click it and goto EDIT and it will open in notepad with the source code, you see and bad commands, dont run it, plain and simple. Also theres a option in AVAST anti virus where you can tell it to not let any program to run the format command etc etc. Hope this helps
    Hacker dan

The definition of a virus is a file that can replicate its own code. A malicious batch file has to be run by the "victim" so it isn't really much of a threat.
    It doesn't need to be explicitly run by the victim. It could possibly be placed in the startup folder, or the run key in the registry and you would have no idea, unless you were super paranoid (which it always pays to be) and checked for that sort of thing. The real lesson should be not to run pre-compiled programs from dubious sources.
    Darwin\'s rollin\' over in his coffin, The fittest are surviving much lest often,
    Now everything seems to be reversing, And it\'s worsening!
    --nofx, American Errorist