Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: .bat file that erases windows

There are enough people posting malicious things to the Internet without something like a .BAT file. People *should* know to EDIT it first, however, somepeople just click and go. Kazaa and other music d/l sites have enough to worry about right now...
    Those who speak of what they know... find out too late that prudent si-lence was wise.
    --Madame Giry, Phantom of the Opera

Batch File

I remember I used to (in my teens) screw around with ASNI bombs and Batch files.
    Note : I have grown up now.

The bad thing about batch files is that most os's command prompt will favour them over an executable.

For example if you had in a directory.

c:\test\test.exe and c:\test\test.bat the OS goes for the batch file first.

It used to catch alot of people out when malicious code was young.

i was thinking about using it on kazaa and lableing it some thing like "little boys nude"or some thing stupid like that to screw with those freaks but i havent made up my mind yet.
    Hmmm, maybe you should get a job with the RIAA.

-Maestr0
    \"If computers are to become smart enough to design their own successors, initiating a process that will lead to God-like omniscience after a number of ever swifter passages from one generation of computers to the next, someone is going to have to write the software that gets the process going, and humans have given absolutely no evidence of being able to write such software.\" -Jaron Lanier

Also, (At least with Norton Antivirus) your Antivirus would detect "virus like activity" when you ran the batch file and stop the deletion process. I have recieved this message several times when creating batch file for auto deletion of cache and other folders.
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

Format c:\ /u (u = unconditioanl for more windows)
    could you explain me that statement please
    What does this "u" means
    Can I just format one file?
    Sorry if I look like a retard but...
    I think programming is really interesting because you need to be intuitive but I can't risk my hard drive.

The prevention to this problem is to goto CONTROL PANEL > FOLDER OPTIONS > FILE TYPES
    now one-by-one select the following and click ADVANCED choose EDIT and click DEFAULT:-
    .VBS, .BAT, ..JS, .KEY, .REG, .WSF

By making EDIT as the default option these executable scripts will automatically display their content and when you have reviewed it then you can rightclick and select the appropriate option.
    \" Nothing is IMPOSSIBLE , because IMPOSSIBLE itself says I M POSSIBLE \"

Hmmm

I used to open batch files etc after looking at them of course... if you don't or haven't been. Stop and reformat now. But I have come to the conclusion that... there is no desirable reason to open one. I mean who would post or mail a batch file of honorable content anyway. I instanlty delete them. All of them. I know friends and collegues may have a reason to send or post you a bat file for some reason. Have them zip first.

I don't really see where one like this could aid you in anything, unless you were running a warez server or something like that and needed to dump alot of files quickly.
    Of course if you change the command to "copy" you can use this when making serious changes to someones computer for a quick data file backup. Then the CEO can't come and say you accidently deleted his payroll spreadsheet when you upgraded his OS.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

ok first off Deltree is an old command that hasn't been around since win95. ***EDIT***

Actually I think it may have been in win98 also, but I never really used that OS much so I don't remember.

/EDIT

The advantages of running a deltree /y c:\*.* would be that it would delete every file, folder and subfolder and never ask if it was ok to do so. Running del c:\*.* will still prompt you for user interaction when attempting to delete folders/subfolders.

Anyway, there was a macro virus many years ago, I think it was called MDMA, that did the deltree /y trick. I vaugely remember it being able to work on macs to do the same thing. MDMA came out shortly after the Melissa virus hit.

On the format c: /u command, the Unconditional switch means to format even if the block is considered bad. I used to use it in conjunction with the /s and /q commands when making bootable floppies. I always got a kick out of the command line being format c: /s/u/q hehe, yes it was juvenile

Give a man a match and he will be warm for a while, light him on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

ok first off if you want to know what the "/u/s/q" or any switch like that meens type the command and /? ( format /? ) it will give you a list of all possible switchs or get an old dos reference book or down load dos6.22 from me and then unzip the cabs and copy over the help files it has a very good help system that explains all the commands and gives examples and notes on how to use them. hope that helped Mouffe

the_rock thanks for the sugestion and i like your quote.

Lv4 i'm running win98 and most commands from other dos ver still work some have been changed and it gives me a warning that i'm useing and outdated command. how much do the newer ver of windows even use dos for any thing?

always got a kick out of the command line being format c: /s/u/q hehe, yes it was juvenile
    i dont get the joke the only thing it looks like to me is "slug" maybe i'm just to old
    [blur]Y R U U[/blur]
    You\'r just a bit nothing more.
    oso_1_ has been assimilated!
    ZeTtA bYtE has been assimilated!

ZeTtA_bYtE - heh, /s/u/q = suq = suck... like I said, it's juvenile.

Anyway, with XP/2k/2k3 most of the old commands still work, like attrib, format, etc. but there is no deltree, or shell commands. But those OS's don't actually use DOS to run any more. The GUI is really a full OS and command line isn't needed any more.

I still find myself dropping out to a command line though just because I feel more comfortable there.

Give a man a match and he will be warm for a while, light him on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.