Hardware Trouble
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hardware Trouble

Hardware Trouble

I'm working on converting my old P233 box to be an MP3 server for my house.

my setup: P233mhz
    64mb RAM
    20Gig maxtor drive
    crappy NIC
    Win 98SE

Heres my trouble:

98 only recognizes my drive as an 8.4 gig due to BIOS limitations.

I've looked for BIOS updates and found one which I already have installed I believe.

However, I know the computer is capable of recognizing it as a 20Gig because Mandrake had no problem with it - and please no smart ass "put linux on it" replies

Thanks in advance for the help

Hi DigitalReligion,

First you will find that one of the Mod's will move this message to the chit chat or hardware forums..

Now to you problem..
    I am assuming that..
    1.. Win 98se is being clean installed. that is since the BIOS update..
    2...That The Bios is reporting the HDD size correctly
    3.. That after removeing Mandrake from the HDD, that ALL Linux Partitions were removed, and you only have Fat32 partitions on the Drive now.. (Win98 will only recognise FAT 16 and FAT32 Partitions..(with out installing special Drivers)

Now haveing Assumed all that.. It could still be a BIOS/WIN98 problem, preventing the BIOS reporting the correct data to the operating system.. try repartitioning the HDD to 2x8G + 1 x ~4Gb..

I am sorry, that this isn't a precise answer.. But I must admitt that it is a rare prob.

Cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

I can say hey this will fix it because I've never had the problem myself, but I can give you some info, ask you some questions and maybe help ya out a bit....

Question 1:

What does your computer read it as since the BIOS update, is it reading it as a 20GB and was mandrake reading it before or after that?

Question 2:

Since you updated the BIOS have you fdisked and formatted? Because if you were limited because of the BIOS and setup Win98 when it saw the 8.4gb. Then the rest of your space is most likely there.. it's just not partitioned or being used. You'll have to fdisk the drive (create a 20gb partition) and format and reinstall. You could also attempt to use a partition resizer but that could lead to problems.

[EDIT]
    Hrmm... me and Und3ertak3r seem to have found a bug in AO. At least as far as I can see. We both posted at 11:16pm. With his reply showing first. However on the mainpage it states two replies but shows his as the last reply. Did we actually post close enough together to confuse the software?
    [/EDIT]
    IT Blog: .:Computer Defense:.
    PnCHd (Pronounced Pinched): Acronym - Point 'n Click Hacked. As in: "That website was pinched" or "The skiddie pinched my computer because I forgot to patch".

lol HTRegz ..
    we musta hit send at the same time.. and very much the same answer..

good on ya..

cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Originally posted here by Und3ertak3r
    lol HTRegz ..
    we musta hit send at the same time.. and very much the same answer..

good on ya..

cheers

It does seem that... I guess great minds think alike
    PnCHd (Pronounced Pinched): Acronym - Point 'n Click Hacked. As in: "That website was pinched" or "The skiddie pinched my computer because I forgot to patch".

What does your computer read it as since the BIOS update, is it reading it as a 20GB and was mandrake reading it before or after that?
    Ok first of all, I'd like to clarify that I havent flashed the bios. The patch on Intel's site was actually older (i believe) than the version I have right now which is the: PhoenixBIOS v4 R6 4A3NT0X0.28B.0005.P03.9708211128

the Readme with the flash update said to be sure it was the proper update by checking the first 11 characters which should match

this is the file: Intel's Site

It's an AN430TX mobo

Bios is saying its a 8455meg drive, 16383cylinder, 16 head, 63 sectors - which is the max of the bios - I was reading on one site that briefly and vaguely mentioned an alternative but no actual help.

edit:

.. Win 98se is being clean installed. that is since the BIOS update..
    Already addressed that the update hasnt happened...
    2...That The Bios is reporting the HDD size correctly
    which it isnt
    3.. That after removeing Mandrake from the HDD, that ALL Linux Partitions were removed, and you only have Fat32 partitions on the Drive now.. (Win98 will only recognise FAT 16 and FAT32 Partitions..(with out installing special Drivers)
    This is true - I've wiped the disk clean and put back on the maximum allowed size by Fdisk - which was ~8.5gb for a primary partition

Now haveing Assumed all that.. It could still be a BIOS/WIN98 problem, preventing the BIOS reporting the correct data to the operating system.. try repartitioning the HDD to 2x8G + 1 x ~4Gb..
    this doesnt seem feasable since fdisk isnt allowing a larger size than 8.5gb - i'd already tried to make other partitions in conjunction with the 8.5gb that has my OS installed to.

btw I appreciated the prompt responses
    [/QUOTE]

I would suggest finding a BIOS update that supports beyond the 8.4GB Limit then.. That is the easiest solution....

However if you are unable to do that... try out this suggested solution.
    Source: http://www.microsense.com/Beyond-84.htm

2. Load software on the system that links into the BIOS to add the interrupt 13 support. There are several vendors that offer software for this purpose. Ontrack's Disk Manager for IBM (the diskette version 1.66K) can be downloaded at no charge from the following web site: http://service.boulder.ibm.com/stora...tech/dm955.exe

When it had asked me for large disk support I definately answered yes.

Originally posted here by DigitalReligion
    When it had asked me for large disk support I definately answered yes.
    No need to worry about that.. Large Disk Support is for drives over 2.1GB... obviously that wasn't the problem..

in the process of getting Ontrack's Disk Manager setup.

edit:

the software didnt recognize the harddrive at all - its maxtor and the software only supports IBM drives heh...

Ontrack's sight wants 60 bucks for their software - :|