Linux Disk Space

Thread: Linux Disk Space

Linux Disk Space

i am going to do a fresh install of linux mandrake 9.0. supposing that "/usr" and "/home" are on located on two separate partitions, how much space should i alot to "/" ? is 2000 mb just right, or is it too much?

Mandrake Linux 9.0

negative_zero,

Fortunately mandrake linux has a program called "DrakX" to simplify the installation/partitioning process. Have you researched this? Have you visited

http://doc.mandrakelinux.com/Mandrak..._Startup.html/

Sometimes simple questions can be answered by reading ALL of the documentation avalible to you reguarding the product you are having trouble with. Mandrake has a very complete online database of questions/answers and how-to guides. Check them out.
    Opinions founded on prejudice are always sustained with the greatest violence.

-Matt Chambers

Fortunately mandrake linux has a program called "DrakX" to simplify the installation/partitioning process. Have you researched this? Have you visited

http://doc.mandrakelinux.com/Mandra...k_Startup.html/

Sometimes simple questions can be answered by reading ALL of the documentation avalible to you reguarding the product you are having trouble with. Mandrake has a very complete online database of questions/answers and how-to guides. Check them out.
    i have read all the documentation before, since this is not the first time i am installing linux. i know about drakx. my question was about the amount of space i should be aloting to "/", not how to. but thanks anyways.

Personally i give / 1.5 gigs, but thats on red hat 7.3 Mandrake isnt as big as redhat so 2 gigs is fine but probably too much. One way to find out is to install it and use the df command to see how much room / is using and if you want reinstall after resizing the / partition. Yes thats the long way to do it but hey if you want precision.
    <chsh> I've read more interesting technical discussion on the wall of a public bathroom than I have at AO at times