Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Script Kiddies

Post Script Kiddies

Ive been doing lots of research on google and other search engines on what exactly constitutes a script kiddie. I mean I always had the perception in my head of what a script kiddie was , and I've learned from lots of sources. But Im just wondering if some people here at AO can give me their opinions , and perceptions on what constitutes being a script kiddie.
    Thanks.
    "Serenity is not the absence of conflict, but the ability to cope with it."

a script kiddie is basicly a computer hacker who uses program made by others ... he has nothing good in mind ...he uses tools like sub7, methodus and other script kiddie tools .....

hmm , Do script kiddies usually have knowledge of UNIX , And networking protocols ?

hmm , Do script kiddies usually have knowledge of UNIX , And networking protocols ?
    I'd say yes and no. They have a general understanding of how they work. might understand a bit about linux/unix but don't have it mastered. Just enough to get their scripts/programs running.

I'm not sure that script kiddies have a good understanding of networking protocols though... just a gasic understanding of how it works. I doubt they've taken classes and read tons for RFCs or read several dozen 700page books on computing. Ask them to explain the layers of the OSI model... and they'd be at a loss. All they care about is when they click on a button, it will crash a pc, or open a cd rom, or something else stupid like that.

I always thought a script kiddies was someone in their teens just experimenting with computers. Learn about "hacking" and want to impress their friends. They don't necessarily want to know how stuff works, just want to look cool. They normally grow tired of it and move on. The problem is there are tons of em out there. When one becomes bored with it.. there are a couple hundred just leaning what "hacking" is. They have to try it out on all thier friends comptuer and try to become l337.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

usually script kiddies dont tend to learn the insides of the things which is very opposite to the very nature of hackers... .thsese people have malicious intentions....and use the programs coded by others...they usually know a little bit abt OSes and TCP/IP Networking enuff so that it enables them to make use of scripts written by others...these scripts are usually exploits....script kiddies use these scripts against some one to achieve their malicious intentions....

i think whever someone enter the digital underground/ hacking first of all he is a script kiddie only....becoz that is the very first learning phase.....but the intention of script kiddie should be to learn more and more intenal working so that he can leave the script kiddie areana and enters the hackers areana....

but as the saying goes on...

" 99 of 100 script kiddies will remain script kiddies forever"
    guru@linux:~> who I grep -i blonde I talk; cd ~; wine; talk; touch; unzip; touch; strip; gasp; finger; mount; fsck; more; yes; gasp; umount; make clean; sleep;

Thank you all for your ideas .. But the only thing I want to know is like what is the maximum a kiddy would know about Unix. Like , he just knows how to compile scripts and run them ?

this will vary..........how much he worx on the *NIX and for what purpose...does he tries to solve his of hos own and many other factor...so the knowledge will vary.... but onething is for sure...he has nor mastered it..
    guru@linux:~> who I grep -i blonde I talk; cd ~; wine; talk; touch; unzip; touch; strip; gasp; finger; mount; fsck; more; yes; gasp; umount; make clean; sleep;

Banned
    Originally posted here by n01100110
    Thank you all for your ideas .. But the only thing I want to know is like what is the maximum a kiddy would know about Unix. Like , he just knows how to compile scripts and run them ?
    Hummm.... planing on joining the ranks of kiddies 'eh? I once grabed a book called "Unix in a nutshell"... it was beautiful, man. If you yourself are interested in unix based command lines then I highly suggest checking out that book.

I always thought the main traits of a script kiddie was a (lazy and impatient) person, someone who uses sub7, downloads scripts but doesn't know enought about programing to add/improve on it and the most of the editing involved would be adding... print "This is my 0day spoit kneel b4 it". Also *nix command line isn't that hard... hell you could just fumble around with your keyboard for awhile intil you figuer out what stuff does and if that doesn't work google will more than likely find some site with step by step instuctions for doing whatever you need to do. Anways while the kiddie is fallowing these step by step instuctions he is more then likely to forget them as soon as he reads it and then types in whatever he needs.

So anyways the maximum a kiddy would need to know is well.... almost nothing at all really.

My Definition

I believe that script kiddies are people who have a little knowledge and can use code "Modules" to compile there own programs.

They are people with a basic understanding but not enough knowledge to put together there own programs from scratch.

Malicious Script Kiddies
    Usually they can fudge together little programs for malicious purposes and because they are using open source to do so most anti virii don't find them.

Script Kiddies rate for me somewhere between the stuff you pick from between your toes and caffeine free coffee.

A) caffeine free coffee = wast of water!

IMO script kiddies are just arms. From what I've come to understand about some xdcc channels on irc around the world most of them just exploit the same holes over and over (mainly sql/netbios/iis/iis5 aka webdav/others im sure) They just do ping sweeps with oh lets say xscan/sfind (the biggest ones out there mainly) Then take the ips found, load them into a program and hit go/start. The funny thing is asking some of the @'s in channels with hundreads of zombie/slave xdcc's what netbios is. Some of the replys are funny as hell........but then again im not an "ub3r 31337 #4x0r"
    The internet, not just for stalkers and pervs, but for computer geeks too!