Be cautious with XP patches!!!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Be cautious with XP patches!!!

Be cautious with XP patches!!!

I've come through that article, may interest XP users.
    http://www.microsoft-watch.com/artic...1039464,00.asp

The patch which was designed to stave off a buffer overrun that could allow attackers to elevate privilege permissions on users' machines ended up slowing some users' systems to a crawl.
    [shadow] SHARING KNOWLEDGE[/shadow]
    Share on Google+

Hmmm, this does not surprise me. The security measures on WinXP are not the best in the world, but still much better than the 9X or DOS of yesteryear. Let's hope the next gen OS's will resolve the issues.

Thanks for the article.
    Share on Google+

Originally posted here by linuxguy99
    Hmmm, this does not surprise me. The security measures on WinXP are not the best in the world, but still much better than the 9X or DOS of yesteryear. Let's hope the next gen OS's will resolve the issues.

Thanks for the article.
    I am not so sure about that, DOS was very secure, no background processes..nothing ran at startup that you couldn't find out about, and no open network shares. Ok so it wasn't very usefull or powerful, but it was secure.

as for the xp patch, suposedly MS is working on or allready has avalible a fix for it... also note that the exploit ti fixes is a local only exploit, so most people don't need to worry about it
    Share on Google+

I am not so sure about that, DOS was very secure, no background processes..nothing ran at startup that you couldn't find out about, and no open network shares. Ok so it wasn't very usefull or powerful, but it was secure.
    I disagree with you. The FAT filesystem is VERY insecure, and when WinXP is formatted with NTFS is more secure... if you follow other precautions of course. Also, DOS was very useful How else would have MS made the very popular Win9x series? hehe

As for background processes, there were a multitude of virii that could take advantage of the MBR, go TSR, and do other nasty things without you knowing.

Share on Google+

- Trying is the first step towards failure. the moral is never try.
    - It\'s like something out of that twilighty show about that zone.
    ----Homer J Simpson----
    Share on Google+

heh, it figures.
    Share on Google+

Crap! That has got to be my problem. I have a P4 2.5ghz, gig of RAM, and GeForce 4600Ti 128ddr, and the last few days it has been just WAY slow.

Does anyone know of a fix/patch yet???
    Mindpilot

You can tell lot about a person by how they handle these 3 things: Rainy Days, Lost Luggage, and Tangled Christmas tree lights
    Share on Google+

a repatch! haha that's GREAT!!!... and only with microsoft
    Share on Google+

Originally posted here by mindpilot
    Crap! That has got to be my problem. I have a P4 2.5ghz, gig of RAM, and GeForce 4600Ti 128ddr, and the last few days it has been just WAY slow.

Does anyone know of a fix/patch yet???
    Sounds like a great gaming machine. Best patch I can think of is W2K.

Director
    Share on Google+

And to the question left for me:

and what is that supposed to mean?
    It means things like that happen. If you look around, you see people post the same things knowing or unknowingly. No need to get all frigging worked up about it. heh.

Sounds like a great gaming machine. Best patch I can think of is W2K.
    Win2k is a good OS. I am not a fan of XP, but in all fairness it is built around it which can be a good thing once the bugs are out. From the patches it seems MS is making headway.
    Share on Google+