email problem

Thread: email problem

email problem

i am sure someone invaded my computer and used my email for malicious purposes....my firewall was obviously not working..how does a person do this without it being obvious to me the user...
    and is it this sort of hacking common?
    i am a newbie so am curious how it was done..

Re: email problem

Originally posted here by spud405
    i am sure someone invaded my computer and used my email for malicious purposes....my firewall was obviously not working..how does a person do this without it being obvious to me the user...
    and is it this sort of hacking common?
    i am a newbie so am curious how it was done..
    Your going to have to give us a little more to work with here mate, what makes you think your e-mail was hacked? What e-mail account(s) are you talking about? What OS are you running? Do you have anit-virus software and a firewall installed?

Cheers:
    DjM

ok..i have had ppl getting very annoyed by emails from my outlook express account...they forwarded these malicious emails back to me and it was def from my account but not sent by me...i have norton internet security but am having trouble with it and often have to disable it to get web sites up...norton said its the dial up config..but i havent worked out how to re set it all..

Originally posted here by spud405
    ok..i have had ppl getting very annoyed by emails from my outlook express account...they forwarded these malicious emails back to me and it was def from my account but not sent by me...i have norton internet security but am having trouble with it and often have to disable it to get web sites up...norton said its the dial up config..but i havent worked out how to re set it all..
    At a quick guess, I would say you have a virus. I would hit Symantec and perform an online scan. Get started HERE

Cheers:
    DjM

Another possibility - someone has spoofed your email address. You say the emails sent back to you were malicious, but do you mean that they contained malicious sripts/files or other content (or merely viscious words)?

The most common "abuse" of spoofing is the cowardly act of covering your tracks in order to send SPAM. If you are also getting any bounce messages, this is most likely what has happened, as most spammers do not verify recipient addresses before mass mailing a list of addresses.

If the emails were sent only to people that you know (ie in your address book) then I would suspect a virus. You might also be able to check your sent items folder and see if these message were actually sent from your computer. If you don't have the originals, then its possible that a crafty virus could delete them, but more likely is that someone pretended to be you and/or possibly exploited an open relay on your ISP's mail server.

If you can, have one of the people who complained to you forward the header information from the email they received. That could prove insightful.

these emails that look like they are sent from my email account are more on a personal level and i feel are more likely someone with a grudge. They did not contain malicious files...just personal info...and threats to the recipients
    Is is possible that someone can enter my pc and use this email account or use my account from outside the computer.

If someone has physical access to a PC then there's always the possibility that they can pose as you. Hopefully, you're using an OS that has decent security and are using strong passwords. The first thing you need to do is figure out if this is a local or remote compromise. Does anyone else have physical access to your machine? Do you share a machine with others? If so, then you need to take additional measures to secure *your data* on the machine. It's really hard to give specifics without knowing your OS - but you can do a google search yourself and find some well-written articles that give step by step specifics.

Have you checked on the items I mentioned previously yet? (any copies of the messages in your local sent items folder, etc?)