Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nmap killed me.

Nmap killed me.

I just installed Nmap on this new computer thats running XP pro. After I instaled Nmap I installed winpcap. I then started nmap specified my network IP and clicked scan. Then my computer goes poof shuts down.

Its back up now, and I uninstalled winpcap and nmapwin, but what happened. Why did my computer go down on me after I started nmap
    =

Win32

I have no first hand experience with nMap for Windows, but the general populace among other threads have stated that Win32 nMap totally sucks. The word on the street is, it's not stable. I haven't tried it because of the bad press it's getting. I know this isn't much help but there is alot of nagative publicity in the Windows application of nMap.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

Guess I'll have to break down and put Linux back on my HD.
    =

Yea , your better off with the linux version of nmap. But then again , if you don't want to type the commands , there is nmap fe (gui version of nmap). goodluck.
    "Serenity is not the absence of conflict, but the ability to cope with it."

Banned
    nMap for Windows sucks... nMapNT from eEye (http://www.eeye.com/html/Research/Tools/nmapNT.html ) is very good.

catch

Your problem is with WinPcap not NMapWin. I'm not sure of the cause of the problem.. but I have experienced it at times, after bad upgrades of WinPcap and with certain versions. Install WinPcap first, the latest version from the website and then install NMapWin. Just so you know that NMapWin will only work on LAN machines unless you have cable.. the PPP support and PPPoE both suck.

Your problem is with WinPcap not NMapWin.
    Yep, I've also had problems with winpcap on m$. Most of the time the problem is with the XP OS though...

Thats why I just switched to linux... Amongst 1000+ other reasons which I need not mention.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

that's funny, i've never had any problem with any version of nmap-win32 on w2k or wxp. just make sure you're not using alpha version of winpcap on your box. i don't bother with the eeye version, once i install it, i just use the command line version as i would on my linux.

-w0rm3y

i use nmap in win2k and it works fine. i also use tcpdump and ethereal and no problems there either. i've been using them for over a year now. must be your system.

don't use a beta of winpcap. use either 2.3 or 3.0 release versions.

Banned
    I tried to install and use NMap on my Windows XP but that completely failed so I went back to my Linux version of it.