Visual Studio 6 in Win XP

Thread: Visual Studio 6 in Win XP

AO Security for Non-Geeks tonybradley's Avatar

Visual Studio 6 in Win XP

I can't get Visual Studio 6- specifically VB6 to install on either of my Windows XP systems- is that a known issue?

I have a class in VB6, but I am trying to work in VB.Net because that was the only version that I could get to work with XP. The problem is that the syntax seems substantially different so I can't actually do the assignments using VB6 syntax.

Anyway, I was just curious if anyone else is aware of VB6 not working in XP or if its just me.

Last semester we had a VB .Net class.. our OS was Windows XP Pro.. However one student was disabled and required VB 6 (because it worked with his special screen reader software)... It installed fine. I also had VB 6 installed on my home comp (Win XP Pro) and had no problems with it.

I have however heard a rumour that VS .Net and VS 6 won't coincide nicely on the same computer.. I don't know the truth in that but that was what my VB prof told us. The student using VB 6 didn't (couldn't??) have VB .Net installed.

One last suggestion/point/question. Which version of VB is it?? I have VBA and I have had issues getting it to install on XP but VB 6 Enterprise Edition and VS 6 both installed no problem.
    IT Blog: .:Computer Defense:.
    PnCHd (Pronounced Pinched): Acronym - Point 'n Click Hacked. As in: "That website was pinched" or "The skiddie pinched my computer because I forgot to patch".

You know- I knew you'd be the first to reply HTRegz. I was almost going to just PM or ICQ you directly. :-)

Maybe my VS6 discs are just screwed. I have 2 different computers and when installing it on either it comes up with errors constantly during install. I kept retrying and finally told it to ignore the errors. In the end it just wouldn't work.

Ah well. Last class. I will just struggle through trying to take the VB6 they teach and morph it into VB.Net and make something work.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Of course I was the first to reply.. I have no life.... AO Is my home haha. .man I suck.. Anyways. .as for ICQ.. yer still sitting on my Awaiting Authorization list.. but yeah feel free to throw off an ICQ or PM at any point.

Originally posted here by tonybradley
    You know- I knew you'd be the first to reply HTRegz. I was almost going to just PM or ICQ you directly. :-)

Maybe my VS6 discs are just screwed. I have 2 different computers and when installing it on either it comes up with errors constantly during install. I kept retrying and finally told it to ignore the errors. In the end it just wouldn't work.

Ah well. Last class. I will just struggle through trying to take the VB6 they teach and morph it into VB.Net and make something work.

Thanks for the quick reply.
    IT Blog: .:Computer Defense:.
    PnCHd (Pronounced Pinched): Acronym - Point 'n Click Hacked. As in: "That website was pinched" or "The skiddie pinched my computer because I forgot to patch".

Banned
    I have it installed on my computer (Visual Studio 6 Enterprise) and it works perfectly. No problems at all. I dunno mate, good luck with the class though.

i have both Visual Studio 6 enterprise edition and Visual Studio .Net Enterprise Architect and both are working perfectly fine.

Select Only

When the custom install screen comes up select only the VB6 component nothing else and it will install.

Its got something to do with runtimes I would wager as XP comes with a set of vb6 runtimes as standard.

You could also try uninstalling the MSDN disks if you have them installed. If you install these first you get spurious errors.

It seems that the culprit was the Package Deployment Wizards which are a sub-install of VB6.

I can't be 100% sure, because I removed pretty much everything except the core VB6 files. But, it was getting stuck trying to install pdwizard.ocx or something like that.

Anyway, I didn't get the complete VS6 on my system, but I did manage to get the base VB6 installed so its all good.

Thanks for the help everyone!