Thread: system32.exe for XP

system32.exe for XP

Hey guys, a while back i downloaded a file that corrupted my system32.exe file. I am running XP professional. Anyways, everytime i turn on my computer, it tells me that i am missing my system32.exe. Because it was infected, my Virex told me to delete the file. I was wonder where i can get a new system32.exe file for XP. Can someone help me?
    Support your right to arm bears.

^^This was the first video game which i played on an old win3.1 box

Can't you just extract the file from the installation cd? I don't know a thing about XP but I guess that it's still the same as with Win98.
    The above sentences are produced by the propaganda and indoctrination of people manipulating my mind since 1987, hence, I cannot be held responsible for this post\'s content - me

www.elhalf.com

Hi White_eskimo

Follow this link Extracting files from cd-rom ...it explains how you can extract files from your original XP cd to your Harddisk ...

If this fails you can still boot with that same cd and try it with the repair function of winxp ...it normally doesn't format your system unless you tell it to

I think that's ultimately the best solution cuzz then all files that got the best of that virus will get renewed.

Hope this helps

C.
    Back when I was a boy, we carved our own IC's out of wood.

Just Another Geek
    Be careful when doing a restore from the original cd. It will replace all your windows files with the original ones thereby undoing all servicepacks and hotfixes.

So remember to run Windows Update after restoring!

Also check HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\windows\CurrentVersion\Run for any references to system32.exe. There shouldn't be any and it may be the reason why windows is complaining.

If I remember correctly there was a virus that put a fake system32.exe in your windows directory and started it by using the run key. The original system32 would then still be in your windows\system32 dir.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

alright thanks guys you really helped, i am going to go to that website and i will do it tomarrow Thanks again!!
    Support your right to arm bears.

^^This was the first video game which i played on an old win3.1 box