Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask Away!

Talking Ask Away!

Hi peeps:

In my quest for knowledge, I have come up with an interesting (at least I think so) way to learn more.
    Instead of asking questions, I was wondering:
    Could you guys ask ME questions?
    Here's the thing: You guys ask me questions, and I try my best by googling and reading to answer that question. I learn. You don't have to answer anything. You can torment me with trick questions. We're both happy.
    I just need to know one thing. Should I keep the answers to myself, or actually post or pm the answer?
    I would be happy to see who can help me out.
    \"I ONLY DRINK THE BLOOD OF MY ENEMIES....and maybe a strawberry yoohoo....and a...Pina Co-la-da!...
    If you like pina coladas....ugh!, gettin\' caught in the rain....ugh!\"
    -Sarge

For bored people like me this post is truly useful.
    Ok here goes one basic knowledge question: what is the OSI thing?

Here are some more questions:
    What is Social Engineering?
    What is a packet sniffer?
    What are DDOS attacks?
    What is a node?
    Wich is best: windows or *nix? This one is really hard lol
    What are TCP and UDP?
    Heck there are so many questions, if these are to easy, tell me.
    The above sentences are produced by the propaganda and indoctrination of people manipulating my mind since 1987, hence, I cannot be held responsible for this post\'s content - me

www.elhalf.com

Okay, here is a toughy.
    I am running windows xp pro, recently I downloaded and installed a file from a friend, I think that this file might be a key logger. I was able to scan the original file on another computer, but it came up as 5 different virii/keyloggers, depending on the virus scanner used. The virus itself loads up with windows through a registry key entry. It runs as a system process with high priority, the program is msixsv.com and it logs to msfuux, but it changes its name in the task manager to iexplore.exe. If I delete the registry entry that starts msixsv.com, since iexplore.exe is still running, it monitors it's own retistry entry and automatically replaces it. If I close iexplore.exe through the taskmanager, it restarts itself very quickly. If I try to delete any of the files, they are reported as in use, both through windows, and at a command prompt. This file starts itself in safe mode as well, and has all of the same properties. Installing a virus engine on the box, and updating it to the most recent definitions, it detects no virus. Virus engines used were Trend Micro, McAfee, Norton, and AVG.

Question:
    How can I get rid of this trojan/virus without formatting or reinstalling windows. Without adding another operating system, or booting to another. And without physically removing the hard disk drive and doing it on another computer.

* * Yes it is possible, I did this a week ago, if you want the source file I can send it to you. * *

MR.CD:\ > Message me if you have any more questions, and when/if you find an answer, the3ntropy at AOL, Yahoo; MSN(@hotmail.com).

To el-half:
    Ok, I got some of the answers. I'm including them in a very diluded sort of way to save space and to prevent myself from getting carpal tunnel.
    Here goes:
    (Windows v.s. *nix)= Still being disputed. I am using windows for now but I'm going to try Red Hat soon.
    (TCP and UDP) TCP = Transfer Control Protocol and UDP is User Datagram Protocol.
    (Social Engineering)= A hacker (or just a person's) physical attempt to get the info he needs to get into a system. This can be anything from looking at someone's screen to dumpster diving for unshredded documents.
    (packet sniffing) it involves snatching packets going through the ethernet, usually before they hit a router (is it? correct me if I'm wrong) or similar "device" and checking it out. Can sometimes be used to get passwords as they're being sent to wherever they're compared.

And, last (for now)...
    OSI apears to be an abstract concept on networking. It divides several aspects of networks into 7 "layers", the 1st one being physical.

Like I said, these are REALLY simple answers. I know theres more to them, and I did read up on them, and, still am...
    \"I ONLY DRINK THE BLOOD OF MY ENEMIES....and maybe a strawberry yoohoo....and a...Pina Co-la-da!...
    -Sarge

what are the different classes of IP address, and how are they assigned?
    what are the 7 layers of a stack
    what is demultiplexing
    what are the 3 different types of ports
    what is SLIP
    what is PPP
    what is MTU
    how are subnet address assigned
    what are special case address
    what is ARP
    what is a proxy ARP
    what is a gratuitous ARP
    what is RARP
    in what part of the stack is ICMP implemented
    what does the ICMP port unreachable error mean
    what is the UDP checksum
    what is IP fragmentaion
    how can you determain the path MTU using traceroute
    what is the FIN_WAIT_2 state
    how can you detect half open connections
    what is a object identifier
    what is NFS
    what is TTL and how can it be used to determain a remote O/S
    what is XDR and whats its relation to XID
    Does NFS support UDP and/or TCP and why
    what are source and destination ports, and how are they assigned
    ???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
    Those should keep you busy for awhile, and I would like to see a reply from you answering these questions, just for the simple fact that if you dont then we have no way of knowing if you are grasping the concept of these topics correctly ir not.Take it easy, have fun
    Don\'t be a bitch! Use Slackware.

Thanks for those questions. I will get right on them.

(
    -Sarge

Have you ever done the (new) hackertest? You can find it here:
    neworder.box.sk/newsread.php?newsid=7817
    This test gives you enough questions I think
    The above sentences are produced by the propaganda and indoctrination of people manipulating my mind since 1987, hence, I cannot be held responsible for this post\'s content - me

www.elhalf.com

what is the meaning of life?
    why ask why?
    how much wood could a wood chuck chuck... ?

seriously, i have a couple questions i would love to know the answers to....

how are device drivers written, installed and integrated?
    can someone create their own PCI card, write a driver for it, install it and use it on a windows pc?
    on a linux pc? how about mac? can you make it work on all?

thanks and good luck.
    just like water off a duck\'s back... I AM HERE.

for CMOS help, check out my CMOS tut?

There are The iLLuminati?

just yesterday a friend of mine asked me what does MTU stands for i replied "Max. transfer Unit"...he was quick to say " u r wrong. it stands for Max. Transmission Unit". in reply i asked him a good lot questions abt MTU

what is the importance of MTU?
    who handles the packets b/w various n/ws of different MTUs(easy) and how??? (again easy)
    what is the effect of differnt MTUs on the design of firewalls....can it be used for malicious purposes ..if yes how..if no why???

hope u will enjoy to answer these question but one thing just getting the expansions of short forms doesnt mean a lot ... just try to grab the internals and the working...

hoping something good from u

but one thing i must say The3ntropy is with the best question .. try to analyze the situtation...
    he made me think for some time..
    guru@linux:~> who I grep -i blonde I talk; cd ~; wine; talk; touch; unzip; touch; strip; gasp; finger; mount; fsck; more; yes; gasp; umount; make clean; sleep;