How do you quickly change your ip while connected through a cable modem?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you quickly change your ip while connected through a cable modem?

How do you quickly change your ip while connected through a cable modem?

see title
    Share on Google+

it depends on your setup.

Are you using a router?

Is your ip wan ip static or dynamic?

if it is dynamic... and you are directly connected... and using a m$ based OS...

ipconfig /release all
    ipconfig /renew all

if you are using a router, you will have to login the router and release / renew it there.

if you have a static ip address... then no, you have to contact your ISP to get a new ip address.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.
    Share on Google+

Thanx I did'nt even know it was possible to change your IP. But this is a question that goes along with the whole IP thing.

Is it possible to scan someones IP?
    If so how?
    Why would anyone want to scan your IP?

THanx......B-Wolf
    [glowpurple]The inside secrets of big buisness are being leaked onto the Net - (who\'s fault is that ) - Me[/glowpurple] http://www.AntiOnline.com/sig.php?imageid=419
    Share on Google+

Is it possible to scan someones IP?
    If so how?
    Why would anyone want to scan your IP?
    1.yes...
    2.use a port scanner like nmap or blues or many of the hundreds out there.
    3.to find open ports either to help secure your box... or to try to break your box. they basically scan for services running on your ports then find vulns and exploit them to gain access to your PC.

search the newbie security forum... there is quite a bit about it on this site already.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.
    Share on Google+

same IP

I find on my broadband subscription, you can perform an IP renewal all day and still get the same IP each time. They are mostly static.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.
    Share on Google+

I find on my broadband subscription, you can perform an IP renewal all day and still get the same IP each time. They are mostly static.
    I have dsl and its PPPoE dynamic ip and dns

almost everyone I know with cable is static.
    Share on Google+

TO: phishphreek80

HOw do you know if you are running a static or dynamic or wan? And are there wayz of stopping people from scanning your IP?

THanx......B-Wolf
    [glowpurple]The inside secrets of big buisness are being leaked onto the Net - (who\'s fault is that ) - Me[/glowpurple] http://www.AntiOnline.com/sig.php?imageid=419
    Share on Google+

Originally posted here by blue_wolf
    TO: phishphreek80

HOw do you know if you are running a static or dynamic or wan? And are there wayz of stopping people from scanning your IP?

THanx......B-Wolf
    you know if you are static if you always have the same ip address.
    you know you are dynamic if you reboot your modem/router and get a new ip address.

(NOTE: there are many different scenarios that this can be false... but generally in a broadband scenario it is true)
    wan = wide area network
    lan = local area network
    on a router, there are two ips normally (but can be more) wan (internet) and lan (private network)
    the wan ip is the ip that people see when you connect to a website or any other service
    lan is the ips that you assign on your local area network

you can't stop people from scanning you unless you just don't turn on your computer or don't connect to the internet.
    the best thing you can do is to secure your computers/network
    Share on Google+

Many ISPs use a pretty long DHCP lease time. That is why you can release/renew your IP all day long and still have the same IP adress. You need to have your IP released for a period of time longer than the DHCP lease time to get a new IP.
    Share on Google+

Thanx phishphreek80 man ur really good at this stuff...And not to mention you have a really cool computer...I hope someday I can be as good at u with the whole security stuff.

Goodbye AO....My bedtime..
    Share on Google+