Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Computer is Possessed??!!

Computer is Possessed??!!

Alright, someone, please help....

My fellow co-worker is running Windows 98 and all of a sudden, as she was typing in Word, I noticed she began to type odd, random characters. I turned around, and she was like, "What's going on?!" When you hit any letter, for example, if you hit "g" it displays "g4321" and if you hit "q" it displays "q1" and so on and so forth. There isn't any definite pattern, as far as I can tell, and also, when you hit enter, it acts like it is the alt key.

And her mouse works fine....the computer runs fine, except for these odd keyboard happenings.

UPDATE I just checked again, while typing in notepad, if you hit the enter key on the number pad, it spits out "09874321" and if you hit the period key on the number pad, it spits out ".09."

So, I am stumped. She is scanning for virii but I don't think it has anything to do with that, but what do I know. Can anyone shine a light as to what is going on?

Thanks in advance.
    ...the scent of your hair as you twirl in your fingers, and the time on the clock, when we realized that it\'s so late, and this walk that we shared....together!

Sounds to me like a hardware problem. Change her keyboard and see if the problem is still there. Or check the connections on the plugtin and see if it is patailly loose?
    That would be the first steps 'I' would take.
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

Thanks for responding so quickly. She is changing out the keyboards right now, so I will let you know what happens...

Thanks again.
    ...the scent of your hair as you twirl in your fingers, and the time on the clock, when we realized that it\'s so late, and this walk that we shared....together!

Pepsi Cola in the keyboard? Pop makes a great conductor.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

Yeah I think check the Keyboard, there are different set-ups on your keyboard and she might of inadvertanly (Spell Check) changed it. Just as a note what type of virus scanner is she using?

Whizkid2300

Well, she unplugged her keyboard and plugged in another one and it worked fine. She failed to mention to me that yesterday she spilled water on the number pad....

Thanks to all who responded so quickly with their advice.

That'll do it!! Don't you love when you're working on someone's computer and they fail to mention those little details..
    -NeuTron

Oh yeah Nuetron, those little details like I dropped my computer off of my desk, Spilt water, oh yeah and my favorite I got that porblem and I shut down completely just unplugged it.

Whizkid2300

.. I like those comments..

Like...

"oh I only droped it softly"
    "Ahh it wasn't in the water for long" (usually a Mobile phone that went into a urinal)
    "It shouldn't be that bad.. I turned it off as soon as the smoke turned black"
    "it was only clean water"

..sorry j0bber.. ...

you did get the problem solved.. and you did let us know how you got on..Now that we appreciate.. Thanks for that..

Cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Let me tell you, I would have a boring job if not for the likings of the wonderful staff here at the local paper in Dallas, TX.

Last week, I decided to have a little fun, and so I put a piece of tape on the mouse balls of some people at work, and you wouldn't believe how many phones started to ring and how many times I heard the words, "reformat, virus, crash, purchasing new equipment."

At that point, I had to put a stop to it and so I just subtedly, one-by-one, removed the tape and all was better.

It goes to show you, IT/Tech Support would be nowhere without the help of the average joe.

I appreciate everyone's feedback.
    Thank you.