Thread: static dynamin ip addresisng/arp

static dynamin ip addresisng/arp

Can someone explain to mne what is the difference between static and dynamic ips, what is a arp and understanding p addressing more

Static IP Address
    A static IP address is assigned to your computer by your ISP and is permanent. Each time you connect to the internet, the same address is used. This address is never used by any other computer or device.

Dynamic IP Address
    It would be simple if every computer that connects to the Internet could have its own static IP address, but when the Internet was first conceived, the architects didn't foresee the need for an unlimited number of IP addresses.

Consequently, there are not enough IP addresses to go around. To get around that problem, many Internet service providers economize on the IP addresses they possess by temporarily assigning an IP address to each computer from a pool of IP addresses. The temporary IP address is called a dynamic IP address. As a result, the IP address may be different each time the computer connects to the Internet.
    found here with a simple google search

The Automated Refinement Procedure, ARP/wARP , is a program package for protein structure refinement. It combines in an iterative manner the reciprocal space structure factor refinement with updating of the model in real space.
    More information to do with this can be found here

Google is a very nice thing to use, took me 5 minutes to find these with keywords like "what is the difference between static and dynamic ip" and "arp description". The links I posted were one of the first 3 I tried on each search. Hope you find it of some help!

Just a thought...
    ~AciD
    [shadow]There is no right and wrong, only fun and boring...
    Formatting my server because someone hacked into it sounds pretty boring to me...
    That\'s why it\'s all about AntiOnline.com!
    [/shadow]

AciDriveHB: Good job with the Static and Dynamic IP addresses.. however you have the wrong ARP.

The ARP that wikkid is refering to is the Address Resolution Protocol. A computer sends out an ARP request. The ARP request contains an IP address and is requesting the MAC address attached to the NIC on that IP. There is also RARP which is Reverse Address Resolution Protocol. It is used to discover the IP address when a MAC address is known.

C:\>arp -a
    No ARP Entries Found

C:\>ping lordfly

Pinging lordfly [169.254.52.249] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 169.254.52.249: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128
    Reply from 169.254.52.249: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128

Ping statistics for 169.254.52.249:
    Packets: Sent = 2, Received = 2, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms
    Control-C
    ^C
    C:\>arp -a

Interface: 192.168.223.1 --- 0x2
    Internet Address Physical Address Type
    192.168.223.2 00-00-00-00-00-00 invalid

Interface: 169.254.30.79 --- 0x5
    Internet Address Physical Address Type
    169.254.52.249 00-80-c6-ea-77-2b dynamic
    Your computer has the arp command on it. My arp cache was empty before I pinged another computer on the network. Then I pinged that machine and checked my arp cache again. Now the IP address (169.254.52.249) is visible with it's attached Mac address.

Any interesting side note about MAC Addresses since you prolly have no background with them is that they are a 48-bit Hex String. The first 24 bits (6 HEX Characters) are the Manufacturer's ID (They will tell you which company made the NIC) and the last 24 bits (6 Hex Characters) are assigned by the manufacturer. Occasionally because they produce so many NICs they reuse the second portion so you may obtain (although it is extremely rare) two NICs with the same MAC, which can lead to conflicts. A list of manufacturers and their IDs is located here http://www.synapse.de/ban/HTML/P_LAY.../P_lay280.html however it is by no means complete as it doesnt' have the mac address for the NIC in the example...