Thread: Firewall

Firewall

Can a firewall totally protect me from attacks? I guess the answer will be negative. What I want to know is: in which way someone could bypass it and how can I protect my PC?

Banned
    First, welcome to AO and learn to search the forums before posting...

Second... nothing can totally protect you from attacks. And I'm not going to get into the details of how some might bypass a firewall (*cough* www.google.com *cough*) because that would be stupid on my part, but I'll tell you this, keep an up-to-date AV program and limit what goes in and out of computer while online... using the firewall of course.... and you'll be good. Sometimes bad things happen but that's a chance you take when you connect to the internet....

= Cheers, jag291 =

The AV I run is Norton 2002 and it does the job. I am not sure if Norton has put out a 2003 yet as I haven't had the need to upgrade to a different version yet. It isn't cheap, but is affective.

I must agree with you all, but I would like to add that no matter how strong your firewall, if your passwords are weak, or your computer is running excess network services, you will always be vunerable to attack. If you don't need it, turn it off (like lights when your not in the room).
    $person!=$kiddie or die(\"Alas, die you hotmail hacker!!\");
    SecureVision

when it comes to digital underground... call them hackers crackers script kiddies or what so ever they form one of the integral part of your system security scene.

what i have noticed with these persons...is that they are no longer into password guessing or password cracking...becoz of the complexities and time involved in cracking those passwords...

so now a days they rely on local/remote root exploits...with these type of exploits coming into limelight in bulk....the underground have been able to keep pace with the ever getting complex security secenario....if they are unable to locale any such hole..they move on to next target...until and unless very determined ....becoz they are "too busy" to crack the passwords

in this limelight i would suggest you to keep watch on all the exploits revealed and keep yourself updated...may be http://www.securityfocus.com is a nice place to get informed..

this doesnot at all mean you can keep your passwords very simple..so that they are very easily brute forced or gets guessed. Usually i use passwords with numerics alphanumeric and @ sign....so as to include the 3 charactersets...but the password is never so complex so that i cant recall it. Also AVs and firewall comes handy....

To be secure you will have to keep watch on all these aspects
    guru@linux:~> who I grep -i blonde I talk; cd ~; wine; talk; touch; unzip; touch; strip; gasp; finger; mount; fsck; more; yes; gasp; umount; make clean; sleep;

They can attack you behind your firewall even if you are not running any services.

Most attacks you'll be vulnerable to stem from either

- Bugs in client software (eg: exploits in IE, Windows media player, Outlook)
    - Running untrusted executables that contain mal-ware (No, virus checkers will not necessarily protect you, they mostly only detect viruses)
    - Social engineering - someone persuading you or someone inside to run something

Once inside the firewall, some mal-ware, placed by one of the three methods above, can connect out and read commands. This could be as simple as getting a web page containing a list of commands, and posting the response.

An attack I have also heard of, is a remote control program operated by email - it sits on your machine, constantly reading email through outlook. When a specially formatted message arrives, it immediately deletes it, and carries out commands contained in it, before emailing the attacker back with the results.

This is very nasty because it is difficult for even a content-scanning firewall to detect it.

However, safe computing practices can protect you from all of these - it's just about being vigilant and training your users.

ill tell you how they will find a bug in ur firewall then the hack you or they will bomb the ports till the firewall will be down they are many other reasons serch in google man

Originally posted here by FRiZz3R
    ill tell you how they will find a bug in ur firewall then the hack you or they will bomb the ports till the firewall will be down they are many other reasons serch in google man
    You may want to search the dictionary, or at the bare minimum take a lesson or two in english

Originally posted here by FRiZz3R
    serch in google man
    GoogleMan? sounds like a super hero.
    i\'m starting to think that i\'m bound to always be the first guy on the second page of the thread.