Custom LILO boot menus

Thread: Custom LILO boot menus

Custom LILO boot menus

I have been sitting here about 9 hours trying to figure how to install a LILO graphical menu for Slackware 9, so I will not see the "blah" text screen. Here is what I did:

I downloaded the SuSE gfxboot package from and contains the two bianries "getx11font" and "mkbootmsg" to output boot files... okay, sounds easy enough. So I went into the sample directory where the two required files are located, namely somefile.config and somefile.pcx.

Easy to output the files, right? Not for me. I issue the commands to output the boot file, and get the error:

Not a PCX file

Heh, this came directly from the source tree, so I know it is not wrong. Perhaps I am issuing the wrong commands? Here is what I tried in the shell

..#getx11font fixed_10X20

and it seems to work ok, because there were no errors outputted. Next

..#mkbootmsg -c suselogo.config suselogo.pcx

where the manual reads the usage for the binary is

-c config_file, --config config_file
    Create a boot message file using this configuration.
    -i, --info
    Show info about file.
    -h, --help
    Show this text.
    Where could I be going wrong? Have any of you made custom LILO screens before? Any help would be appreciated. And yes, I am scouring Google as we speak.

Try instruction on this site

Not an image or image does not exist!
    Not an image or image does not exist!

That was very nice of you, but that's for pre-compiled boot screens. I now have little penguins running about, but I would like to create my very own, which goes back to the orginal problem.

To output somefile.boot, I need to utilize the package gfxboot. Alas, it's still not outputting correctly.

Anybody else have ideas?

I finally figured it out, and yes, it was by looking on Google. I forgot to add the name of the output file.

mkbootmsg -c somefile.config OUTPUTFILE
    The decumentation was not clear on that. So, for any of you wanting any custom LILO boot screens, PMm me.. I will be having fun