linux windows dual boot

Thread: linux windows dual boot

Thumbs up linux windows dual boot

hi out there,
    i want to dual boot my linux box with windows 2k.i aready have rh 7.2 installed (with grub bootloader) and i want to add windows to dual boot with it and rh should be default.how do i go about doing this?

That's a BIG question, you need to supply some more information.

How many hard drives? ( will win 2k have it's own drive ?? )
    If not, is the drive already partitioned with enough space for the win 2k install ?
    will you be using fat32 or ntfs for the win 2k ?

easy way:
    1. pull the linux hard drive out, put a clean one in, install win 2K on the clean drive.
    ( if you want to read/ write the win 2k drive from linux, you should load it fat32 )

2. change the win 2k to a slave, replace the linux drive as master, boot to linux, adjust grub.conf file for dual boot.
    " And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be" --Miguel Cervantes

well if u can figure out a lot of things youself..the try boot loader like XOSL ...

www.xosl.org
    guru@linux:~> who I grep -i blonde I talk; cd ~; wine; talk; touch; unzip; touch; strip; gasp; finger; mount; fsck; more; yes; gasp; umount; make clean; sleep;

Hey IKnowNot what do you mean with :
    ( if you want to read/ write the win 2k drive from linux, you should load it fat32 )
    As far as I know it is possible to access NTFS disks through linux ..or am I wrong or did I read your entry the wrong way? (in that case sorry)

Or is it that the RH version 7.2 cannot read NTFS .

Suse 8.2 can do it ..tried it with the eval version cd.

Anyhow ... There are a lot of sites that discuss dualbooting a win distro with a linux one... just try this Booting w2k and Linux ... It's a google link .

C.
    Back when I was a boy, we carved our own IC's out of wood.

Originally posted here by Cemetric
    Hey IKnowNot what do you mean with :

As far as I know it is possible to access NTFS disks through linux ..or am I wrong or did I read your entry the wrong way? (in that case sorry)

Or is it that the RH version 7.2 cannot read NTFS .

Suse 8.2 can do it ..tried it with the eval version cd.

Anyhow ... There are a lot of sites that discuss dualbooting a win distro with a linux one... just try this Booting w2k and Linux ... It's a google link .

C.

Thas because SuSE owns. Now. One thing you might wanna try for dual booting, is partitioning your HD, Leave a partition of howver big yuo want the Windows 2000 slice to be on there (you can use Fdisk or Cfdisk i think for this) and then when your done and its written to the partition table stick a Windows 2000 disk in and reboot.

When it asks where you wanna install Windows 2000 it should show the partition you made and select that. Now remember both Linux and Windows 2000 are gunna fight for the "I own the MBR" thing so if it overwrites it, well, youll have to redo that part. Anyway after install be sure you can boot to both.

If you do have any problems you cant seem to figure out, RTFM.

Banned
    In my experience it is best if you want to dual boot to install windows first, then install your flavor of linux. Unlike linux, windows will overwrite the MBR.

In my experience it is best if you want to dual boot to install windows first, then install your flavor of linux. Unlike linux, windows will overwrite the MBR
    This is true ... I did this on my laptop where I had W2K installed ... I dedicated a second partition to linux RH8 and installed it with the bootloader on that partition ...to access it I used a boot disk ... All this is easily done because the installprocess asks you how you wanna install the distro ...and even I succeeded

Then afterwards you can still boot W2K without even noticing that linux is installed ...then when you wanna access linux you can use the boot disk or you can opt for the following way ...

From Linux, copy the Linux boot sector from /boot to a file using the dd command.
    In the below, replace /dev/hda3 with your boot partition's location

# dd if=/dev/hda3 of=/bootsect.lnx bs=512 count=1

Copy bootsect.lnx onto a floppy disk.
    If mcopy is available, this is easy:

# mcopy /bootsect.lnx a:
    If mcopy is not available (e.g. a minimal install of Linux) you'll need to mount the floppy drive and then copy:
    # mount /dev/fd0 /mnt
    # cp /bootsect.lnx /mnt
    # umount /mnt
    Boot W2K, log in as Administrator and copy bootsect.lnx from your floppy disk onto the root of your C: drive

Edit C:\BOOT.INI and add the following line at the end:
    C:\BOOTSECT.LNX="Linux"

Found this here :
    Dualboot configuration

or try Google

C.
    Back when I was a boy, we carved our own IC's out of wood.

Cemetric

RedHat will not read ntfs by default, you have to either recompile the kernel or there is a download if you are shaky about doing the recompile.

Writing ntfs from linux is still considered experimental and dangerous.
    " And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be" --Miguel Cervantes