*nix runlevel

Thread: *nix runlevel

*nix runlevel

Hey Guys,
    Just curious....how do I get (boot perhaps) to run level 3. My nvidia driver installer won't let me install it unless im in run level:3???? Is there some sort of command?

Scatty
    If the scatman can do it so can you.

Try
    Code:
    init 3
    Normally Redhat, etc, run in Runlevel 5 (or is it 4) when X is running. Runlevel 3 is the same except without X.

You will want to ensure there are no apps open in X before switching to runlevel 3, as it will abruptly end your X session.

Excellent---Now will it just be command line, or will some sort of GUI be present??
    scatty
    If the scatman can do it so can you.

No, it will be command line, but after you've installed the video driver, you can return to the gui.

I'm not sure if Redhat uses 4 or 5 for X, but anyway, you can return to graphical mode with init 4 or init 5, whichever it is.

The same command-line prompt you will get if you flick to virtual console 1 whilst in X (try ctrl-alt-f1 to switch there, and alt-f7 to come back here)

Ok your prolly trying to install the new Nvidia shell script for your Graphics card right?

anyway, as long as you have a very NEW distro (like SuSE 8.2)

Become root and type init 3

and press enter.

you should see X stop, at this point your at a shell only.

Here you are going to change to the directory you have the Nvidia script in and type:

sh NIVIDIA-linux-x86-1.0-4363.run

This will start it up (not that the above numbers may be different from yours and you should type it however your is.) After its installed you go through the set up. After this your done can can reboot.

Hey Guys,
    Just curious....how do I get (boot perhaps) to run level 3. My nvidia driver installer won't let me install it unless im in run level:3???? Is there some sort of command?
    Did you have a GUI before and now all you get is a command line, or did you install the distro and by default did not install X?

If you are in the shell type as root:

Code:
     pico /etc/inittab
    and see the line

Code:
    # The default runlevel.
    id:3:initdefault:
    Where 3 is the state it is supposidly in... if it is anything but 4, change it to 4. MAKE SURE TO NOT CHANGE IT TO 0 OR 6, otherwise, you will have a mess on your hands

If it is indeed 4, then you will need to fix X... and since there are so many variables, it is pretty hard to guess, but I will give it a stab here. (I am no expert, so if somebody else has a better idea, then by all means do so)

In the shell type:

Code:
    cd /usr/X11/bin
    and then type

Code:
    XF86Setup
    Pick your mouse, keyboard, video card (make sure to check to see if X supports it, which in most cases it will... just make sure to know the chipset), and then set the monitor resolution, refresh rate and sync rates...

Then type

Code:
    startx
    and see if you can get a GUI... I hope this helps you.

Jack

Ok, since I installed another distro last night and had to do this myself, Im going show you all how to do this in case you need to know.

First you need to download the script from Nvidia's website. Now this only works for NEW distros like redhat 9, SuSE 8.2 and Mandrake 9.1.

If you have an older one just get the RPMs. Otherwise. to install this, after you download the "Nvidia-Linux-x86-1.0-4363.run" thing from the site. After this open a terminal like Eterm and use the su command to become root if you arent already.

type init 3 and hit enter, youll see that your computer goes into text mode. Now some distros you have to log in after changing runlevels, so to make sure your logged in type "ls" or something, if it lists your files, good, if it asks for a password, just type whatever and hit enter and then when it says it wouldnt let you on, youll see it asks you to log on again.

type root if you had to log in again and log in as root. You see the prompt waiting for you to do something. At this point, cd to the directory where you have the Nvidia script saved too. After your in that directory, type the following:

sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4363.run

Then hit enter, youll see it loading things and eventually youll see it ask you to accept an agreement, use the arrow keys on your keyboard to get on "accept" and hit enter and after this your done. Now after your all done installing the drivers type init 5 and hit enter, youll be back in graphical mode.

all done.