Thread: Newbie Networking Question

Newbie Networking Question

Hello, I was wondering if you can network two computers with different OS's, as in Windows XP and Windows 98SE. Again, Newbie Question. heh.
    ~Apollovega~
    \"I will control my Destiny Terenica...I\'m not afraid.\"

Old Fart
    Yes, given we are talking XP Pro, but understand the following.....
    1. Setup network on XP system first, and at the end of the process you get the option to make a Win XP networking disk (diskette) to use on other systems. This can also be accomplished using the XP Pro CD.

2. If your XP is using NTFS, your 98 machine (FAT32) will not be able to access shared drives, folders, etc. due to 98's inability to see NTFS partitions. NTFS, however, can see FAT32.
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

?Possible?

Is it possibe to network Wndows XP/Pro and Linux. I don't have Linux but plan on getting it on my new computer? Just a thought I had...

Offcourse there's also the possibility if your just working with two computers that you can use a cross cable between the two pc's , it easier to setup and it's also possible to use two different OS's .... as mentioned by allenb1963 and blue_wolf

Just thought I mention it
    Back when I was a boy, we carved our own IC's out of wood.

Allenb1963.......I have clients with XP (NTFS) shared directories with both server based apps, and Word/Excel docs. Clients are all Windows 98se (FAT32). Windows can see the directories perfectly. Not sure why you think it doesn't work. Possibly you are not setting up the user rights properly ? (only guessing) But it does work perfectly....no conflicts

Just Another Geek

Re: ?Possible?

Originally posted here by blue_wolf
    Is it possibe to network Wndows XP/Pro and Linux. I don't have Linux but plan on getting it on my new computer? Just a thought I had...
    Just take a look at the Internet in general. The Internet is just a collection of networks all consisting of all sorts of different computers and operating systems and they are all able to communicate with each other. So if all your computers can talk the same networking protocol (the Internet uses tcp/ip) you can hook them together and make them talk to eachother.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Allenb1963 > windows 98 can see shared ntfs files/folders. Think about it for a second, it is not actually seeing them as ntfs or fat32, it is using tcp/ip to transfer the data, which is universal. That is why windows 9x, me, et cetera can see NTFS shared files/folders.

dcongram/Allenb1963 > He was thinking of an NTFS partition that was physically attached to a windows 9x, me, et cetera box. In this case, a windows version that can only recoginze FAT file systems, cannot even notice a correct partition under NTFS. But over a network, LAN or WAN, data is transfered via the TCP/IP protocol, which is not FAT nor NTFS.

interoperability is the term for networking across multiple OS's and yes, it is very possible to do so. Domains can even be set up with a different OS for the server than all of the clients.

Errata: when I set up my windows 2003 advanced server box on my home network, it immediately recognized ALL of my other computers, ranging from windows 98se to windows XP pro, from RedHat to freeBSD.

The3ntropy: I agree (of course) that Fat32 partitions cannot see NTFS on the 'same' computer. I re-read the question and it says 'networking 2 computers'.

Hey all!

I'm trying to network two win2k's using a xover cable. I've had it working on many occasions since win2k is pretty good at finding connecitons. But, now whenever I try to access the properties of one of my connections I get an error:

"Explorer.exe has generated errors and will be closed. . ."

Anybody have any ideas about why this would happen? I've tried disabling all of my networking devices save the one needed. I haven't yet tried to reinstall all of the devices and their drivers.

The only changes to my system have been to switch from cable modem inet access (w/sharing) to dial-up inet access (using AOL -- b/c it's free of course).

Thanks upfront to all who read and reply.

later
    Mugs
    The struggle itself towards the heights is enough to fill a man\'s heart.

--Camus, The Myth of Sisyphus

Mugwye > Well, going from cable to dial-up is the wrong direction, supposed to go from cable to faster cable . If explorer.exe is failing it's nothing that you are doing wrong, (most likely). Back up all of your programs onto cd, zip, jazz, et cetera, then do a format/reinstall. Search google or our forums here at AO for advice on how to back up and format/reinstall. With windows it is usually very tough to fix explorer.exe when it is crashing, unless it is immediately proceeding new hardware and or software installation(s). If it is, try uninstalling or removing the *ware. If that fixes the problem, use alternative software, or look for different drivers for the hardware.