Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IP_protect98a

Question IP_protect98a

i got a warning that TROJAN IP_PROTECT98A had been detected in a program that i'd had for a long time and had been test to many times to count. so was the trojan all ways there or is it new and how can i check to make sure its gone and is it a bad trojan or harmless?
    i serched google and only found two links one in spanish and one in english they were not much help. i searched here and couldnt find any post about this so if there is one let me know and i'll erase this.
    also heres some other virus that i've found on my computer recetly
    win32/hantaner
    ONLY_GAME
    i-worm/kindal
    worm/sddrop
    worm/kwbot
    if thats of any intrest to you
    [blur]Y R U U[/blur]
    You\'r just a bit nothing more.
    oso_1_ has been assimilated!
    ZeTtA bYtE has been assimilated!

Just Another Geek
    What was the program you where using that has this trojan?
    What kind of scanner picked this up?

Better be a bit more careful when dowloading from Kazaa. All of those virusses you've picked up spread through Kazaa.

kwbot
    sddrop
    kindal
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

i'm runing win98
    my primary av is avg by grisof

the program was icq99a - i wasnt running it i just had it on my computer from when i download icq back in 99'
    and the av that picked it up was bullguardlite
    [blur]Y R U U[/blur]

You could try TheCleaner from moosoft.com, or you could try Tauscan if you have'nt already.

cleaner

thanks i'm downloading the cleaner now.
    [blur]Y R U U[/blur]

Just Another Geek

Re: cleaner

Originally posted here by ZeTtA_bYtE
    thanks i'm downloading the cleaner now.
    While you're downloading, download the latest version of ICQ. There where some security issues with older versions.
    Oliver's Law:

If your going to use kazza, never use it on your root account. Make a limited account and run kazza as root from that one.... rightclick "run as" on the executable. Couple that with TheCleaner and AVG, and you should be just fine.

Just Another Geek
    Originally posted here by FrameWork
    If your going to use kazza, never use it on your root account. Make a limited account and run kazza as root from that one.... rightclick "run as" on the executable. Couple that with TheCleaner and AVG, and you should be just fine.
    Huh? He's running win98. There is no 'root' account on windows.
    Why does Kaazaa need root anyway?????
    Oliver's Law:

Huh? He's running win98. There is no 'root' account on windows.
    Why does Kaazaa need root anyway?????
    Theres no such thing as an administator account on windows 98?

Kazza would need to be run as root or admin, because if you don't all of your downloads will fail. Atleast this has been my experience with kazaa. I was just giving him an example of what i do, i have a limited account, and when i run a program i always right click "run as" to avoid viruses/trojans. If you run kazza on a root/admin account, whenever you recieve a virus it is immediately able to execute itself because it has all of the appropriate permissions. If your on a limited account running kazza as root, the viruses/trojans will not be able to distribute their payload. That is unless you download an executable and then run it as root without having scanned it with an antivirus.

Just Another Geek
    Originally posted here by FrameWork
    Theres no such thing as an administator account on windows 98?
    There's no such thing as even the most basic security in win98. So no, there is no administrator account on win98.

Kazza would need to be run as root or admin, because if you don't all of your downloads will fail. Atleast this has been my experience with kazaa. I was just giving him an example of what i do, i have a limited account, and when i run a program i always right click "run as" to avoid viruses/trojans. If you run kazza on a root/admin account, whenever you recieve a virus it is immediately able to execute itself because it has all of the appropriate permissions. If your on a limited account running kazza as root, the viruses/trojans will not be able to distribute their payload. That is unless you download an executable and then run it as root without having scanned it with an antivirus.
    I can only suggest finding out why you need admin privs to get Kazaa working. If there's any problem with Kazaa itself you will be in a lot of trouble. Maybe your account doesn't have write permission to the incoming folder? Kazaa shouldn't need any admin privs.

If you run everything by using 'Run as..' as root/admin you would still have the same kind of protection as you would if you logged in as root/admin in the first place. So this will NOT help you prevent virus/trojan infections. Installing a good virusscanner, keeping your system up to date and running everything on a limited account will prevent it (or atleast limit it's 'reach').

All in all it's a bad suggestion.
    Oliver's Law: