IP address of your firewall?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IP address of your firewall?

IP address of your firewall?

hey im a total nooblet when it comes to firewalls but i want to enable a firewall when i connect to IRC so i click File>Options>-Connect>Firewall and i check the radio box for "use firewall" but then the check boxes for protocol i dont know what to do. whats my hostname,username, password, and port for my firewall is my question
    btw- i am using the default firewall that comes with XP. if you suggest i should get another one ill download another one.
    i hope this question makes sense =]

I'd definitely reccommend getting a better firewall. The one bundled with XP is really total crap. If you don't want to spend any money, try Tiny Personal firewall or ZoneAlarm. Your firewall will be in effect, and you may not need to modify settings in IRC, unless you're having problems with its operation.

Corn

i have Polaris IRC but i need to find the hostname of my firewall, because i want to connect to irc through my firewall..i hope im making sense
    -Simo

If you just get ZoneAlarm or TPF or whichever other firewall you want, just run it. You likely will not need to change settings in your IRC program, as you can set permissions with those firewalls. Mine runs fine, and I haven't done anything within my IRC client.

Corn

i read that connecting through a firewall in IRC can mask or change your IP address. that is why i would like to connect to irc through a firewall
    -Simo

Connect through a proxy server if you want to change your IP. Firewalls are designed with different things in mind. Just search Google for free proxy servers. At the end of the day, though, you can be traced. Don't assume that you can't be found by using proxies.

Corn

im going to copy some text from a site i was reading about so you can catch my idea

[How to spoof / hide your identity on the IRC]
    After seeing what users can find out about you, it is time to learn how to hide your identity.

There is no easy and lame way to do this. Here are the most knows ways: FireWall, WinGate and a Bouncer aka (As Knows As) BNC.
    We will start from the firewall.
    The firewall we are talking about is software that runs on some machine and is used to filter incoming packets (packets that arrive to the machine which is running the firewall) and outgoing packets (packets that are sent from the machine which is running the firewall). Some firewalls are not configured very well and allow anyone to connect to them. The hard part is to find a working one that will allow you to use it to connect through it, and once you are connected, using it so users that will whois you or dns you will see the firewall's IP! If, for example, there is a misconfigured FireWall on the host firewall.someone.com, you can use it in mIRC, for example, by starting the mIRC program (I use the newest version 5.6, go download it at www.mirc.co.uk) and:
    1. Click on the Files menu, then Options.
    2. On the topmost label of the tree where you can see 'Connect', If you see a '+' next to it click it. If you see a '-' go to the next step
    3. Click on the sub-item Firewall (duh...)
    4. Be sure the 'Use SOCKS firewall' checkbox is marked (has an 'X' in it).
    5. In the Hostname field, write the IP / Hostname of the firewall. For example lets use firewall.someone.com
    6. Leave the USER ID and PASSWORD empty, and make sure the port in 1080.
    7. Click OK.
    Now, next time you will type /server ... To connect to the IRC server the connection will be relayed through the firewall, so if someone will whois you he would see something like this:

:localhost 311 ^TCG^ ^TCG^ ~TCG firewall.someone.com * :The Cyber God
    :localhost 312 ^TCG^ ^TCG^ localhost :test server
    :localhost 317 ^TCG^ ^TCG^ 9 932030074 :seconds idle, signon time
    :localhost 318 ^TCG^ ^TCG^ :End of /WHOIS list.

You can see that my host is NO LONGER thegod.actcom.co.il, instead it is now firewall.someone.com!!
    Now I am protected. You might be asking right now where to get the firewalls hosts. One idea is go asking your friends. Other is going to Altavista (www.altavista.com) and searching for "firewall AND list" and stuff like that.

You're getting 2 issues confused. Firstly, you're running a firewall on your host PC. Secondly, you don't connect to a firewall, you connect to a proxy. Those settings in your IRC client for specifying your firewall type are irrelevant for most home users. They are there to enable people to connect if they can only connect through a proxy. The description 'connect through firewall' is misleading as well. Really it means 'Connect through proxy'.

To change your hostname on IRC, you either need to be an IRC operator (different from a channel operator), know a friendly IRC operator, or have a bouncer. There is no way to do it without one of thase 3 things. The easiest way is to get a bouncer. They are relatively cheap, and pretty straightforward to set up and use. Mine only costs me 4 a year. However, the first 2 options are free

Simo > Having a firewall on your box and connecting through it will NOT change your IP or mask it in any way. It will however protect you from attacks from people to your IP. You do not have to worry about your IP on IRC if you only connect to trusted networks, you wouldn't walk around dark allies at night in a city, don't do it on the internet.

Depending on the size of the IRC Server you are tryign to get on (a small private one, or a large network) you could possibly use a free proxy. However most networks scan for insecure proxies upon connect and if they find you are connecting threw one, they will kill you. For a list of proxies - http://www.astalavista.com/privacy/l...xyserver.shtml

Depending on the circles you run in, there are still crews out there who now look to coding instead of cracking as their methods of operation. EfNet still has a bunch, and I'm sure you'd find a few on undernet, possible dalnet. If you roll with one of these crews, at lot of the time an included benefit will be a BNC or a shell on which you can set-up a BNC.

Man, this topic reminds me of the good ol' days. The days when mIRC wasn't mulitserver and you'd have 4 or 5 mIRCs open, then on to the days of BitchX where you only saw one channel at a time but man that sped things up a lot.

That was a little off topic but anyways good luck finding yourself a BNC or working proxy.
    IT Blog: .:Computer Defense:.
    PnCHd (Pronounced Pinched): Acronym - Point 'n Click Hacked. As in: "That website was pinched" or "The skiddie pinched my computer because I forgot to patch".