Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How my MSn was hacked?

Angry How my MSn was hacked?

Hi Guys,

Well I'm really annoyed when my freind sent me all my text chats on my msn messenger and he told me my IP Address and my geographical location and all this only through my MSN Messenger. He just became my friend and knew nothing bout me. I did voice chat with him. thats all. Please tell me how in the heaven's Sake did he do it? Is yahoo messenger equally unsecure? and AOL and all others?

er0k
    sounds to me like you need to wear chat condoms...

But meh.. they are all insecure, just be careful who you talk to and stuff, but he really sent you all your text chats eh? Elaborate.. im interested..

This is a guess, but its possible... MSN probably creates a direct connection between people when voice chatting, so the IP was probably found via a netstat command. With that IP finding a *very* general IP is possible using programs like NeoTrace or even the app in the Tools & Toys section here. As for sending all your text chats, I'm assuming either you are running a old version of MSN Messenger, You have a current version but said friend found a new bug in it, or if you don't have a firewall or have it improperly configured they found a way onto your computer to retrieve information.

Some advice would be to run a virus scan with current definition files, run a trojan scanner like TauScan and if you don't have a firewall, get one and set it up to help prevent things such as this from happening in the future.
    You're not your post count, You're not your avatar or sig, You're not how fast your internet connection is, You are not your processor, hard drive, or graphics card. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of AO
    09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

id have to agree with Syini666 here. your friend just did a simple child's trick and theres nothing you should worry about. any direct connection between the two of you, like voice chat or sending files or any feature that gives u direct connection to his pc and vice versa, will let him get your IP by using netstat or a simple packet sniffer. as for the geographical location, like Syini666 said, it could be just NeoTrace which is most of the time inaccurate.

THanx Guys but I don't think that through voice connection netstat wud reveal other's ipaddress. I still am at loss that how he could manage to take out my text chats? Does msn messenger save all the chats? some of them were a day old. Is he also able to remotely get the password of my messenger like this? please also tell me the best possible firewall to protect my pc.

MSN Messenger 6 has the ability to log conversations.

I think this is a weak attempt at social engineering and he is trying to get us to tell him how to do this.
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

Tell me the defence.........

If you hook up your firewall and look at your logs after a voice chat or a file transfer or anything of the type you'll note that the IP of the other person is indeed logged. I don't know that there's really a way to prevent that, I suppose there'd be a way to mask it, send the wrong IP, but other than that I really don't know.

And the rest of it, I have no clue. Sounds like he either found a cheap trick and exploited it or has mad, mad skills. Either way it'd probably be best to stay on his good side.

And follow the other's adivice and install a firewall. You can get a good one for free from Zone Labs http://www.zonelabs.com/store/conten...sp?lid=pdb_za1

Unless you really are just trying to con somebody into telling you how to do it. In which case, good luck. 'cause I doubt anybody would even if they knew how.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of hackers, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
    I am what I am and I do what I can.

thanx for the firewall name and i came here on this site coz it is suppose to save me from hack attempts and instead u r thinking that i want to hack someone and need to know the way? Give me a break!!!

My Qs still there, wud this zonealaram prevent my text chat from being snatched from my box?