Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How my MSn was hacked?

Ok, Im bored so Im gonna take a swing at this.

When you do voice convo you need to direct connect. The reason for this is to overcome the packet limitations the program sets up inorder to sotp spam and other crap from happening. when you direct connect you can runa command in dos (im not sying it becasue if hell have to learn it the same way I did, read a book) that will list all connection. next to each connection it will have a code to distinguish one connection from another ie. a web page you are looking at and the vice convo, the codes are listed on a microsoft webpage as well as many other dos basics web pages. after getting your IP, there are websites that can track the ip to a location, so thats how he did that. Now tall of this takes less skill then playing most computer games. As for getting your text convos, this may have taken some effort. MSN has an archive of your messages. It records them I believe, so does Yahoo messanger. Well after getting your IP he could have easily ran a port scan on you, and found a nice little entrace, from there he had access to your files ie the message archives. Not to difficut fo a thing to do.

Stage two: the defense. First and better then anyfire wall out there is common sense, ont Direct cnnect with people you dont know. this includes voice chat. Unfortunaly there are *******s out there that want to **** with you.

second: get a good sftware firewall, look for specifics when purchasing one like one that does port checks and stuff to make sure your all sealed up.

I would also learn some basic networking stuff so you can mask your ip.

now if you are on a dailup connection dont wory about what happend becasue chances are your not on a static I adress and if he trys to connect to you again hell have a difrferent person. If your on static, cal your isp and request that you have a change of IP. for my ISP all I have to do is reset my cable modem and it will give me a new ip because it uses dhcp to connect me. I hope this helps a little.

oh and to prevent the messages from being stolen find and delete the archives. also look for a disable archiving option.
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

So wot i gather till now is that my firewall shud be one hell of a thing. I shud mask my ip? ok will read bout it. Shud not try to sleep with the girlfriend of a hacker, Check!. Shud not try to talk, converse or exchange files with the above mentioned "Category". I shud check the logs of my firewall , daily!. check!.

ok Thanx XTC46 and all others. Do let me know if there is something here i missed.

XTC46 > Noticed a couple errors in your post.

The reason for this is to overcome the packet limitations the program sets up inorder to sotp spam and other crap from happening.
    Voice, file transfer, et cetera take up a lot more bandwith then chatting. Instead of needing several OSx pipe lines to run a chat server, they(microsoft) tell the clients to directly connect to save bandwith.

next to each connection it will have a code to distinguish one connection from another ie. a web page you are looking at and the vice convo
    The most I could get from this is, maybe you are thinking of the port numbers.

the codes are listed on a microsoft webpage as well as many other dos basics web pages
    Comlpetely lost you on these codes.

after getting your IP, there are websites that can track the ip to a location, so thats how he did that
    The websites that do this are querying a database, it has nothing to do with tracking. And the physical location given has nothing to do with where the person using that IP address is, it is only to the place of business that registered that IP block. Example: I could sign up for a dial-up account in Belgium, dial into it across seas, ( I live in the US ). And if anyone ever 'tracked' me, it would appear that I live in Belgium.

Now tall of this takes less skill then playing most computer games
    netstat -an and http://www.arin.net/whois/
    No skill.

Well after getting your IP he could have easily ran a port scan on you, and found a nice little entrace
    Open ports does not equal insecure, and it is not easy to 'enter'. An open port means that there is a service running that is accessible to the general public. AntiOnline has several open ports and there security is descent, http://www.hackus.co.za/ is hosting a contest as we speak, they have a server with 'open ports' and they are challening anyone to try and create a file on it.

from there he had access to your files ie the message archives. Not to difficut fo a thing to do.
    Not difficult, ha. Only if he had happened to get a trojan from this 'friend', which I doubt. It is FAR from not difficult to do. If it is not difficult, could you please get that computer for me that they are offering as a reward http://www.hackus.co.za/

the defense. First and better then anyfire wall out there is common sense, ont Direct cnnect with people you dont know. this includes voice chat. Unfortunaly there are *******s out there that want to **** with you
    I agree with you here.

second: get a good sftware firewall, look for specifics when purchasing one like one that does port checks and stuff to make sure your all sealed up
    There are several freeware fire walls out there, and several that you do not have to 'purchase'. As for doing port checks, download a port scanner from our archives or hereand scan yourself.

I would also learn some basic networking stuff so you can mask your ip.
    Masking IP addresses, at least doing a good job of it, is far beyond a basic networking skill.

If your on static, cal your isp and request that you have a change of IP.
    You would only be on static if you payed more. ISP's charge more for a static address, because it means that you will be hosting something, most likely, which would mean more of your bandwith will be used.

because it uses dhcp to connect me
    DHCP or Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol, only dynamically assigns IP addresses. This has nothing to do with the connection that comes after, and also has nothing to do with 'new IPs'. I use a DHCP configured/controlled home network, and all of my IP addresses stay the same on my LAN because I have the router remember the clients that have been connected, and the IP it assigned it, and to keep them the same.

thanks for the corrections. sorry for any wrong info given. I think codes was the wrong term. I dont really know what to call them. But there not the port numbers. There like little tags. oh when I said "from there he had access to your files ie the message archives. Not to difficut fo a thing to do. " I mean it as , if he has already gained access to your computer, it wouldnt be hard to gather the info. I didnt mean for it to sound like gaining acces to a computer was easy.

But thanks for correcting me. I dont want anyone getting bad info, so m glad there is someone reading what i say and making appropriate corrections.
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

Banned
    s0nIc:
    MSN Messenger 6 has the ability to log conversations.
    A much better conversation logger is MSN+. Yes I know that version 2 is far from as good as version 1 however it's more stable than MSN6. MSN6 is the most annoying IM I have ever seen.

And XTC46
    There like little tags
    Are you talking about Flags here? Just a thought...

The boys over at the underground mac have an AIM IP sniffer, I imagine if there's one for AIM there's one for the rest of 'em.
    When in danger or in doubt run in circles scream and shout.

Trojan in motion
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

KinoEye > yeah, there are sniffers and spoofers and all kinds of crap or just about every major IM program out there. I might sound old fashioned, but I still think IRC beats all IM programs because i can talk to 20 people without having 20 windows open on my taskbar, plus I feel it can be saver because you dont have to rely on the programmers to take the necessary steps to secure the software. Most IRC safety relies on having a good server admin and opers and just using some common sense.
    You're not your post count, You're not your avatar or sig, You're not how fast your internet connection is, You are not your processor, hard drive, or graphics card. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of AO
    09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Originally posted here by Syini666
    KinoEye > yeah, there are sniffers and spoofers and all kinds of crap or just about every major IM program out there. I might sound old fashioned, but I still think IRC beats all IM programs because i can talk to 20 people without having 20 windows open on my taskbar, plus I feel it can be saver because you dont have to rely on the programmers to take the necessary steps to secure the software. Most IRC safety relies on having a good server admin and opers and just using some common sense.
    Yeppers, IRC is much better, I used Yahoo! messenger for awhile but I found it annoying as people would start bothering me the moment I logged on if I forgot to log in as busy or offline. Not to mention the complete strangers IM'ing becuase they thought I was someone else. Forget about it.
    When in danger or in doubt run in circles scream and shout.

First things first. When you connect to send a file, a picture or when u connect to talk with any of your buddies on AIM, you are Directly connected with them. Throughout the duration of the file transfer or the Talk that u had with him/her, a simple netstat -n will reveal your IP address. Now, was he showing you the chat that u did only with him or other buddies too...if He showed you only the chat u did with him, then he's just using AIM 6 or just copying and pasting the conversation. Otherwise we could be using a spy program which logs all your chat conversations, passwords, keys pressed, programs that u've run, websites visited, etc. Now for telling you your location...all he did is use a program similiar to NeoTrace and used your IP that he got from the netstat to locate you. Don't worry much just be aware of the situation.