Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Request HDD test program

Request HDD test program

I need a good Win32 HDD test program. If anyone has one, or has heard good things about one, please post or link it in this thread. When I say good, I mean NetStat Live is a good network status monitor, and snort is a good IDS. I have google'd for one, but can only find crap ones and none of them display much information. Things I am looking for are Seek Time Delay, Burst Transfer Rate, Large/Small file transfer Rate, et cetera.

*I didn't know what forum to post this in, so just put it in miscellaneous*

What OS are you running? If it's 2k/XP (I'm not sure about NT) why not use the built in performance software? You'll find it under administrative tools. You can add the counters to the main screen that comes up. Or you can go to Logs & Alerts and create a log file to watch over an extended period of time. If you are interested in using this and need more help, just send me a message and I can help you get it all set-up.

OS is XP
    Never went really too deep into that performance monitor thing. I am playing around with that now, but still, if anyone has any other 3rd party programs, still feel free to post.

check out SysInternals,they might have the tool you are looking for. I beleive they also have some disk monitoring tools.

I used to use PC-Check (Euro-soft? ), this is a general PC test prog, boots from FDD, give much of the information you are after. I havent upgraded since XP so I can't rate it on a XP - NTFS drive..

cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Included software

Those tools are great for keeping the OS clean. IN addition, a lot of HDD manufacturers have low level diagonistics on their Floppies that ship or available at their web site. I know you said win32 software, but if you think you may have an issue versus just houscleaning, I would bench check it with a low level, meaning outside the windows operating system, tool from a specific manufacturer. You could also run diagnostics on your bus and controller cards.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

Geppy > I have seen/used those tools before, and am looking for more 'in depth' information

Und3ertak3r > Just downloaded and installed a couple programs from www.eurosoft-uk.com looks like it has a lot of information, seems to work fine in XP.

RoadClosed > I do know about the supplied diagnostic tools and have used them, unfortunately, might be only mine, it simply says, your HDD is operating normally, not much else. As for benchmarking other things such as bus and controller cards, no reason to, neglected to mention but, this tool needed will be used on a laptop computer. ( HDD is directly connected to motherboard without a controller or PCI card adapter. )

You still have a controller, it's just on the motherboard. A system is still necessary to control the I/O of the HDD. Sounds like everything is OK and your just interested in learning things about hard drives?
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

Everything is running fine, as far as I can tell, but I want to make sure that it is running fine. On my home box I bought some corsair memory that had a CAS latency of only 2 2 2, and I figured out exactly how CAS latencies are calculated and if it was actually 2 2 2, which it was. I am somebody who likes to check things like that. Never really thought the HDD worked bad but without a comparison, who knows.

Its not freeware but look into spinrite. I used it many years ago, and apparently it is still available. Info should be at http://www.grc.com.