Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finding available IP addresses on network?

It's a gas!

Finding available IP addresses on network?

How can i find out what IP addresses are available on a windows network?

Probably something simple but i cant think how to do this...

Help appreciated.

r3b007

As long as all your hosts are set up to respond to pings, you could just write a script to ping every IP. The ones that don't respond are available.

If you run a DHCP server, then it will know which ones are available.

I'm guessing however, that you have static IPs. If this is the case, you can ping them all, but beware the machines which aren't turned on

The most robust way of doing it is to go around manually cataloguing them. However it will be a pain in the arse (esp. the laptop that the company director has taken on holiday with him)

It's a gas!
    Yeah, all the machines have static IP's so i guess i was wrong about it being something simple

Thanks for the reply

the easiest way to scan for (online) ip adresses:

say you want to scan all ip's starting with 192.168

nmap -sP 192.168.*.*

but then you'll have to know that they are all on !!
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

It's a gas!
    Its a windows server so nmap is no good!

If you are running a WINS/DDNS service on the Windows network you can get the IP information from this database.
    Ping sweeps will also do the trick, but is very noizy on large networks and like said before will only catch active NICs. Very easy to assign duplicate IPs that way.

Re

Apologise if me being daft first post and all..but just try a scanning tool like this one www.lookatlan.com slong as you know your starting ip just let her go and shell come back with a list of empty/unused

It's a gas!
    Thanks for all the useful replies guys.
    Ill try out some of the suggestions.

Cheers

Not daft Shaggy100..

Languard is another tool .. and basicly as the_JinX's instructed.. set it to scann ie 192.168.0.0 - 192.168.0.255
    b4 you start:..just be sure you won't get shot by the admin for doing a scann
    that is for any prog or script you could use to "scann" for available IP's..

BTW.. I am too lazy to check.. But isn't there a Win version of nmap?

Cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

There is a Windows version of nmap, it will work fine. You can ping scan your network (which just pings the boxes), and easily tell which ones are up.

I'd still recommend a physical audit (provided there aren't too many boxes), as it will catch anything not turned on.

You can't rely on WINS or DDNS to give you the IP of every device on the network, because it's not guaranteed that all hosts will be in it. For instance, some Windows boxes might not be part of the domain, or other devices (usually switches, routers and printers) will be using IP addresses.

As far as being shot by the admin is concerned, I was assuming that you *were* the admin. I was certainly in a similar situation a few years ago, and had to catalogue all the static IPs and hunt out a few rogue devices.