In a gui situation

Thread: In a gui situation

In a gui situation

I have been a linux fan for several years, but when i first got into linux there where very little pictures (gui) and x-windows had still yet to be greatly improved. So I stood back and watched as linux grew into a more user-friendly OS and spent the next few years in the bore of windows.

Now just about any distro of linux has a great gui and even auto-detects things windows cant.

But now I find my self opening terminals more and more to get things done, like using mplayer or wget or even starting up applets like the control panel i find using the terminal a lot faster then hunting down the buttons.

I guess my main question is this, is there anything aside from gui-only apps, that can not be done from the command line?
    Whats a \"START\" button?

well if its not a gui only app(ie videogame) , then how else are you going to control it other than from the command line ? personally i find it more easier to click on mplayer icon than opening a term and typing mplayer ...... I am afraid you post is a little confusing or i am a little retarded today?
    Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
    The international ban against torturing prisoners of war does not necessarily apply to suspects detained in America\'s war on terror, Attorney General John Ashcroft told a Senate oversight committee
    -- true colors revealed, a brown shirt and jackboots

I agree with you. I haven't been using linux too long... just a couple of years.

I started learning it via CLI and have been stuck ever since. I have customized my GUI so it is perfect for me... but even though I have all the buttons right where I need them... I still open the console to execute most of the programs I use.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.