Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hack This Site Levels 1 -7

Hack This Site Levels 1 -7

To stop offending people I have decided to delete this tutorial. Unfortunately, I keep getting server not found errors. I will try again later. In the meantime, if you are stuck, send me a PM with WHERE you are stuck, and what you have tried, and what you think you need to do, but don't know how, and I will try to give you a small tip (not the solution).

-AlGaeN

Lol, nice work Algaen. I've been keeping up with the progress on that site too....I just wish *I* had come up with the idea to make a tutorial out of it. Good job.

I had seen the idea of a tutorial passed around a few times, and some people even volunteered to do it. This was 3 to 4 days ago, so I just took the initiative to do it. That's the best way to get stuff done keezel, just take the initiative and do it.
    Usually it doesn't take long either. I put this together in just under an hour. Although the work I put into getting to level 8 was more like 6 hours.
    \"When you say best friends, it means friends forever\" Brand New
    \"Best friends means I pulled the trigger
    Best friends means you get what you deserve\" Taking Back Sunday
    Visit alastairgrant.ca

I'm sorry but I don't see a use to this tutorial at all. The entire idea of that site is to make it on your own merit. Giving someone a walkthru is horrible. They don't have to learn anything at all..... This is the completely opposite of what a tutorial should be. If you had explained how to do the things required, but to straight away give the answers... that's horrible dude.....

6 hours?? sheesh.. took me 30 minute to get to level 8.. mind you after that it was another story.

HTRegz, I don't think I straight away gave the answers. For the early levels it's hard to give any info without giving away the answers, but for the later levels, its more pointing in the right direction. For example: level 6
    Try encrypting some of your own strings. Test it with "a", then "aa", and so on. If you think you know it, test it first, and if the encryption script generates the encrypted password: ffnrr~ then you figured it out.
    I don't see the answer in there AT ALL.

And another thing, the very first thing my "tutorial" says is
    Also, reading this tutorial defeats the purpose of the site, but sometimes you just need to be pointed the right direction, and this is what I tried to do here. I tried to not give too much or too little away.
    I would read a tutorial if I spent a few hours working on a problem and no longer had ANY idea what to do. It's the same as asking a friend for help in my opinion.
    You can call this horrible all you want, but some of the accusations just are not true in my opinion. Maybe you didn't read the whole thing, or maybe you think I just gave away too much. And I even asked people to let me know if I gave away too much. Maybe you suggest some things I should take away...
    \"When you say best friends, it means friends forever\" Brand New
    \"Best friends means I pulled the trigger
    Best friends means you get what you deserve\" Taking Back Sunday
    Visit alastairgrant.ca

It's true that it isn't meant for someone to just enter the passwords and move through the site just to say they got through it, but I think on the lower levels a tutorial like this is actually educational. Maybe people should spend the time exploring the levels if they don't understand it really well, but a person could still learn how to do things just by reading the tutorial and playing around a little with the site. I personally would rather understand *how* and *why* something works....so once I know that something works I'm not satisfied. On the upper levels...I would rather just have a hint for them only if I absolutly needed one...and then I wouldn't want a solution until I've invested at least 2 hours on one level after getting nowhere.

Excellent work done Algaen,

Keep updating the tutorial...geeks will definitely like it.

cheers to Algaen.
    SeCuRiTy MaKeS Me TeNsE

I think the whole thing should be taken away. If you are stumped at something, then don't do it.... or learn how to do it first. It's not like doing something on your own computer where you'd need a tutorial for help. This is a challenge. If you can't beat the challenge on your own, work on it with someone else, if you still can't beat it, then walk away because you obviously don't have the ability.

Originally posted here by AlcatraX
    Excellent work done Algaen,

Keep updating the tutorial...geeks will definitely like it.

cheers to Algaen.
    How the hell will geeks like it??? Man people should be shot for stupidity at times. I take offence to it, I take great offence to it. I worked hard to get where I am in those challenges. Again, these are challenges, not "Hey look I got to this level because someone else showed me what to do" tasks. If you can't get to the same place in those challenges, then stay the hell away from them and go back to your blankie and your mommy. Leave this stuff to people that have the know how. Go and learn something and then try again. If someone is handed the stuff they aren't gonna learn it. The only people this "tutorial" (I don't like that term for this at all" will benefit is script kiddies and wanna-bes who want bragging rights.

Kwiep
    I finished them !!! I finished them all !!! w00t00t
    Proof: I'm on the top score list #75

75. Kwiep Level 12 Real nice challanges
    My IRC nick is Kwiep

p.s.
    I'm with HTRegz on this issue
    Double Dutch

My IRC nick is Kwiep

p.s.
    I'm with HTRegz on this issue
    haha, isn't that special. I still wish they had the .htaccess problem.