Thread: Crazed Floppy Drive... or My Incompetence

Crazed Floppy Drive... or My Incompetence

Howdy.
    After finally getting around to installing a larger HDD in my precious Linux computer, I've got a bit of a problem. When I disconnected the drive cage from the computer case and pulled it out to slip in the new HDD, I naturally disconnected my floppy drive. After some trouble getting everything working again (that's another story), my floppy drive no longer works. I think I have hooked it up right, but the happy little green light is constantly lit, and "the device was unreachable" or something to that affect.

Please note I am pretty gosh-darn clueless about hardware... For the meantime, I have simply unplugged the floppy drive, but I need a real fix. Any help is greatly appreciated.

--PhirePhreak
    I know you\'re out there. I can feel you now. I know that you\'re afraid. You\'re afraid of us. You\'re afraid of change. I don\'t know the future. I didn\'t come here to tell you how this is going to end. I came here to tell you how it\'s going to begin. I\'m going to hang up this phone, and then I\'m going to show these people what you don\'t want them to see. I\'m going to show them a world without you, a world without rules and controls, without borders or boundaries. A world where anything is possible. Where we go from there is a choice I leave to you.

This may seem pretty stupid but this happened to me once.

I had to switch out some of my drives inside my computer, and just like you had done I disconnected my floppy. I thought I plugged everything back in, but I never could get the floppy drive to work. My problem was that I forgot to plug my IDE cable back into the drive.

Check your floppy drive make sure the power cable and IDE cable are connected. Also check the cable where it is connected to the motherboard. Make sure its seated properly.

I know this seems like stupid stuff that a computer tech would never forget to do but belive me, it happens.
    =

Thanks, but I double-checked the cables: all was connected. The IDE cable from the floppy was plugged into the "FDD" slot on the MoBo... power cables hooked up.... But just that steady, taunting green light.

I just might have to tinker some more... oh darn, I have to spend more time with my computer *mock tears*

--PhirePhreak
    I know you\'re out there. I can feel you now. I know that you\'re afraid. You\'re afraid of us. You\'re afraid of change. I don\'t know the future. I didn\'t come here to tell you how this is going to end. I came here to tell you how it\'s going to begin. I\'m going to hang up this phone, and then I\'m going to show these people what you don\'t want them to see. I\'m going to show them a world without you, a world without rules and controls, without borders or boundaries. A world where anything is possible. Where we go from there is a choice I leave to you.

A solution that always works for me is.

Buy a new one and use the old one for target practice .

Well thats about all I know. I can't help you on the software side cause I'm no good with linux. The conclusion that I come to after seeing that all cables are connected and seated properly is that maybe you drive took a dive.

Sorry I'm of no more help...

[edit] I wonder if you unplugged your floppy driver from the mobo. Booted up the computer then shut it down and replugged it back, if that would do anything. That should give you some one on one time with your PC. [/edit]
    =

It's a gas!
    I would triple check the IDE cable on the FDD as if this attached incorrectly the light will stay lit.

Try switching it about and also try a different IDE cable.

If you could try a FDD from a different box for troubleshooting purposes that would determine the fault.

Steady green.. huh?

well other than the drive just decided to curl up its toes.. I would suspect that the Cable is in back to front.. you have probably checked this.. but that is the common one in my workshop.. oh and please it is not an IDE interface so the cable is not IDE

BTW; I like the Idea of the "close one on one time with your PC".. Now I spend a lot of time physicly inside PC's.. would that make me a Gynocologist?(shite I kan't spell)

Cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

If the green light on the floppy stays on it usually means the floppy cable is on backwards.

Make sure pin 1 in the floppy drive is connected to pin one on the cable. (And, at the motherboard)
    KapperDog

Old Fart
    Originally posted here by KapperDog
    If the green light on the floppy stays on it usuallt means the floppy cable is on backwards.

Make sure pin 1 in the floppy drive is connected to pin one on the cable. (And, at the motherboard)

What KapperDog said.....I had the same thing happen to me. Flipped the cable and all was well.
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...