Connecting to server - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Connecting to server

I know I am a newbie, and I may get banned, but I am going to neg you ( v_Ln ) on this one for the following reasons:

1.The post was not that far on the dark side to warrant retribution. The post indicated you had a problem, ,and although you were not on the correct path for solving it, the replies ( most ) headed you on the right track. Had I not read your second post I would have just gone by this one as having been answered, but I was busy elsewhere.

2.You used a reference ( the addicts forum ) that is not accessible to everyone, but IS accessible to addicts and senior members. You stated yourself that you posted your intentions there before any replies, thus giving them advanced warning of the post, thus nullifying any results as being anywhere near accurate or having any meaning whatsoever. So what was the purpose??

3.You abused you status! Although you are a senior member, that does not make you more intelligent, more knowledgeable, more mature, or more insightful then others. But it does bring some responsibility. I have had this site bookmarked for years, only becoming a member recently, and I do not post just to build up status or AO points. What this post shows is that you may have obtained your status ( survived ) over almost two years here on AO by just what you intended to impersonate, a social engineer, which is nothing more then a good bullshit artist!

I thought better of you.
    " And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be" --Miguel Cervantes

Flash M0nkey
    Iknownot I think that you have misinterpreted this post. I'm sorry that not everyone can view the post in the addicts forum but it is for that reson that I choose to place the second post in that forum. I needed somewhere where I could post to show the real reasons behind this post without defeating the object by revealing its purpose to everyone - so the addicts forum was the perfect choice....
    I do not see how you feel tho that I abused my status? Yes I used my status to see how people would reply, this was the whle idea of the exercise

you may have obtained your status ( survived ) over almost two years here on AO by just what you intended to impersonate, a social engineer, which is nothing more then a good bullshit artist!
    Yup without a doubt......but then we all use social eng all the time in our daily lives. You want something from someone then your gonna be nice to them - this deception is a form of social eng and am sure everyone is guilty of it at some time or another.
    Now wither or not abiding by the unwriten laws of AO when posting can be regarded as social eng I dont know?

v_Ln

OK, I apologize for negging you. I still don't understand what it is you were looking for with only the newbies uninformed about the purpose behind the thread, but I understand the point you were trying to make. The addicts and senior members are the ones who can get someone banned in a heart beat, but they were the ones told about the experiment.

How about trying something like this next time on the senior members? ( I'm not real good at social engineering but here goes )

I manage a LAN and got tired of constantly having to travel to the other side of the building to check firewall logs, tripwire logs, perform updates, etc. I recently set up SSH to administer the firewall box remotely, accessible only from the LAN side.

My question is, how can I check if the SSH is working properly and all the data is being encrypted back and forth, including the initial connections ?? ( I think I set it up to use SSH2 only with dsa encrypted keys )

How can I, using a third machine, tell what encryption method it is using ( des, 3des, blowfish ) and what SSH protocol it uses to do the verification?? The LAN is in a very hostile environment ( a school ) and I want to make sure it is secure.

Thanks in advance for your help
    " And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be" --Miguel Cervantes

Heh, quite an amusing experiment...

I have to put my support behind Valh for this one... I've always felt that a lot of these kind of communities are a little too hard on newbies. I do sympathise with the people who take a little too much delight in flaming newbies... having been asked what feels like thousands of times whether I can 'hack hotmail' for them (anyone who has sat in IRC hacking channels/ with some kind of hacking reference on ICQ can sympathise), I know the feeling.

However, I'm glad to see that most of the responses appeared to follow my reasoning... if not give the 'newbie' the benefit of the doubt, at least try and be helpful, in a way that solves the problem without giving out any offensive potential. I think this thread more than any other on here has reinforced my original impression of this being an excellent community to join, and I'm glad I've found it.

Ok, enough nauseating goo... Valh, I think you deserve a few greenies for the excellent n00b impression, if nothing else. Well worth a chuckle :P