Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Basic Unix

Lightbulb Basic Unix

Advice please wise ones..

I want to start learning Unix...could you please point me to websites(preferable cos Im poor) or books for a beginner like myself...

Appreciate your help

Id start with our own tutorials section. Lets of good things with links to more.

here's the listing page. just scroll down to *nix:

http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=133897
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Get yourself a free shell somewhere where you can play around with commands safely. This is a much better idea than installing Redhat Linux and not having a clue how to use it.

Once you have got some ideas of how to use the system you might then want to consider installing Linux etc, on a 2nd machine, or dual booting.

I have a system with some free shells, PM me for details

Slarty

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    Well he can also download and install cygwin instead of dual booting, or he can use VMWARE and then he blow up Linux all the live long day without hosing up his box.

www.vmware.com
    www.cygwin.com/mirrors.html

:P
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

what so ever u need...from scratch...basics, programming ,securing, administrating ....all at One place.........
    nJoy

http://www.tldp.org/guides.html
    guru@linux:~> who I grep -i blonde I talk; cd ~; wine; talk; touch; unzip; touch; strip; gasp; finger; mount; fsck; more; yes; gasp; umount; make clean; sleep;

Thanks all...this will keep me going for a couple of weeks!!!

Ok I have to add one more thing

Unix for dumies. Great book. Know if you like dried up books the Unix bible. You will probably find them at a library.

Whizkid2300

http://safari.oreilly.com

It's cheap....just $9.99 a month and you can choose 5 books to put in your personal bookshelf (you can change them every month). It has saved my butt on more than one occassion.

It beats the hell out of buying 5 $40 books that you only end using for reference anyway.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

I would recommend Unix In a nutshell. It is an excellent book for beginners , and anyone in general really. I learned alot from it and i know you will too.. Good luck
    "Serenity is not the absence of conflict, but the ability to cope with it."