Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Basic Unix

INstalling a unix i suggest *bsd like & from the console you will learn the basic command
    with man dedication & patient will help you more then books sometimes
    I prefer and old real book than online or console book but if you're young maybe you're used
    to read on the terminal
    Goodjourney

There is a book called the Linux Rute Users Tutorial and Exposition, it is a great book , AND

IT IS AVAILABLE FREE FOR DOWNLOAD.

WOOOOOOOOOOTTTTT!!!!!!!

Go to google, and enter Rute Tutorial Exposition in the search field, and you should find several links to it.

If you want to have something to experiment on without partitioning, or giving up the os you're used to you should take a look at knoppix. It is a linux distro that boots off a cd. All you do is download the iso, burn it to a cd, and then restart with the cd in the drive.

It contains a the linux kernel and even kde and xmms for your multimedia pleasure.

This is where I got my first real taste of linux and I've never looked back.

To download the iso go to http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html and scroll down about 2/3 of the page to a table of places hosting the file
    Darwin\'s rollin\' over in his coffin, The fittest are surviving much lest often,
    Now everything seems to be reversing, And it\'s worsening!
    --nofx, American Errorist

hey a)sna I am pretty sure that Mandrake does that also. I might be worng though.

Whizkid2300