This whole thread- the RIAA vs. the P2P and congress making laws about technology they know nothing about which in turn makes legitimate security illegal, etc., etc.. has been done over and over and over.

Threads about the DMCA, the Super-DMCA and all other aspects of this have been beat to death- I know, I have started many of them. The reason it keeps coming up though is because it keeps coming up (a subtle irony, I know).

Seriously, as soon as we beat the subject to death a more idiotic bill is introduced. After we debate and hack that to death the RIAA starts a lawsuit against some 9 year old for downloading the latest Britney Spears song. Once we're done arguing the finer points on that issue some software vendor abuses the DMCA to threaten some legitimate security researcher with litigation if they actually publicize the flaws in the vendor's application. It goes on and on. They are all separate, but connected issues and they just keep coming.

I have articles on almost all of these issues if you don't mind the pop-up hell at About.com (or if you have pop-up blocker protection which I would advise in any case). Along side my articles are links to other resources and articles on these subjects.

Here are some links:

Are You Breaking The Law? : An article on the state Super-DMCA laws lobbied by the MPAA

Counter-Hacking: The Sequel : An article about Senator Hatch's statement that he would support allowing the RIAA or MPAA to destroy the computers of copyright violators

If You Can't Beat 'Em, Join 'Em : An article about the P2P lobbying organization being started by the president of Grokster