Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: If You Can't Beat 'Em, Join 'Em

I figure that anti-P2P legislation will probably go the way of prohibition eventually. If there are enough people not following the law, making it impossible to enforce, it will be removed.

The RIAA does need to adapt to the changing business model in order to survive, but they won't even respond to the many people calling them on it. They mention their "countless" legitimate music services all of which pretty much suck. Apple's music store is a step in the right direction.

I have a question about the way the RIAA gets P2P users's identities from Verizon - doesn't that violate due process?

AO Security for Non-Geeks tonybradley's Avatar
    I have a question about the way the RIAA gets P2P users's identities from Verizon - doesn't that violate due process?
    Under normal circumstances or for normal businesses- yes. But the RIAA bought- I mean lobbied for- an exemption to that little technicality.

The DMCA allows them to essentially subpoena confidential user information with just a court clerk's signature- f**k due process.

Senator Brownback recently asked Senator McCain to open hearings into repealing that exemption and forcing the RIAA to file a lawsuit like anyone else.

And why are we not seeing more whistle blowing on this?

Why should corporations get more rights than others?

I also heard that the DMCA only allows copyright holders to sue those who infringed - as the RIAA has said "this is about artists, not corporations" - so shouldn't these cases be thrown out on the basis that individual artists must sue? This would also make it so the artists would not have the Verizon customer information that was obtained by the RIAA.

That is, if what I heard is true.

I know I'm a little late in the game, but I just wanted to say something about this:

Most recently Senator Hatch made statements to the effect that he would support a plan to allow the RIAA and MPAA to hack into the computers of alleged copyright violators and erase their hard drive or otherwise "destroy" their system.
    I think I have the right to sit and download the songs I have on CDs in MP3 format. Sure I could sit and rip them, but it's actually faster for me to sit and download a whole CD in MP3 format using Kazaa rather than ripping them.

So I would have to say that if I did that, and some goverment person allowed the RIAA to "hack" into my computer and "destroy" my system... and did this to a lot of people, they might be starting something they can finish!

Just a thought...
    ~AciD
    [shadow]There is no right and wrong, only fun and boring...
    Formatting my server because someone hacked into it sounds pretty boring to me...
    That\'s why it\'s all about AntiOnline.com!
    [/shadow]

politics, politics and more politics....The world belongs to us, the people not some "politicians" who do NOT understand and do NOT WANT TO understand what everything is headed towards. RIAA should be just shut down because its filled with some snobs who use p2p software themselves. No matter what they try...they cant stop us all...and NO we wont be scared of some cute little threats about them finding out where and who we are and that they'll persecute us....BOO HOOO....LOL......you cant get us ALL.....

Those are strong words my friend. But that's how the world is run, sometimes it makes sense and we are for it, and other times we are against it. But we can not sit and be mad for the way WE setup our goverment years ago. The only thing we can do, as Grokster is doing, and start to fight backing using the same tools that are being used to try to shut down P2P networks. Really this sort of thinking is more general than that, it applies in many ways and to many different events.

But 1cehawk, next time you go on a rant you might want to let us know before hand

Just a thought...
    ~AciD
    [shadow]There is no right and wrong, only fun and boring...
    Formatting my server because someone hacked into it sounds pretty boring to me...
    That\'s why it\'s all about AntiOnline.com!
    [/shadow]

"quit whining about lost CD sales. We already compensate you for that from the last time you whined."
    That is the kind of representation I like to see in government. Common Sense of reality.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

No matter what everyone says about the RIAA and the DMCA, we are already going down that path. I am very happy that I dont live in the US in this case. But I guess its gonna happen in my country sooner or later as we just signed a free trade agreement with the US and I guess the RIAA will lobby the US govt to include the clause in the free trade agreement when it is signed.

Its gonna be very diffcult to stop the RIAA from pushing this kind of legislation thru as they have very strong lobbies and the amounts they donate to the congressmen finances a lot of their campaigns.

I hope this is stopped but I am not putting much faith in it. Downloading mp3s of stuff that u dont own are wrong. but so is ripping people off by charging a ridiculous amount for one good song and 15 crap fillers. But they have a right to charge that amount as long as people will pay. Thats the basic rule of economics. you have to keep a balance between the price and your sales. too high a price and your sales will be too low and u lose $. too low a price and you wont make enough to cover your costs even though u sell alot. People have to learn to say no when they feel the price is too high and stop buying CDs that cost too much.

If they kept up with technology and do what apple is doing there wouldnt be such a backlash against them.