Northen Ireland
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Northen Ireland

Northen Ireland

Ok my parents are both Irish Republicans and I looked thru all the debates and I noticed there was no debate on this issue and since you cant get negged in here i thought id post.

Basically I want to know

Should Ireland be a thirty two county republic?

I was allways of the opinion that Ireland should be one country...never understood why the hell the brits felt they needed t obe there in the first place.
    Who is more trustworthy then all of the gurus or Buddha’s?

bballad:

Unfortunately it isn't quite as simple as that.

Although I don't live in Ulster, to the Brits who do live there, the reason they need to be there is because it's their home.

And it seems that a lot of them don't really want to move to a new country... well I don't pretend to be an expert, but I think it's safe to say there aren't any easy answers on this one.

Slarty

I think we should invade. Why should they be treated any better than the bloody arabs?
    After all, it was the Irish who invented modern terrorism. The partition of
    Ireland is a done deal. Get over it. When the Catholics ruled Europe, they burned
    Protestants alive. So why can't the Protestants have one small corner where they can
    live in peace without fear that their religion will be outlawed?
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

Token drunken Irish guy
    I think we should invade.
    OK, first of all I hope that is not your actual opinion because the sheer ignorance it displays is scary. I can only assume it is some kind of bad joke.

Why should they be treated any better than the bloody arabs?
    After all, it was the Irish who invented modern terrorism. The partition of
    Ireland is a done deal. Get over it.

My question is why should any one be treated any different thatn, anyone? The partition of Ireland only occured in 1921, maybe you should read up on the history of Ireland or even watch Michael Collins which is essentially aimed at US Republicans. A small minority of Irish people belonging to a small paramilitary group called the Irish Republican Army created many of the modern terrorist tactics, the rest of us were too busy getting drunk and working like most people in the world.

Unfortunately for the people of Catholic areas in Northen Ireland this was not a possibility, they couldnt elect who they wanted due to gerrymandering by the dominant Unionist parties. They were persecuted by loyalist gangs who also played a part in creating modern terrorism, people who would never claim to be Irish but British.

The Provisional IRA i.e. the one that waged war for the last 30 years came about after Catholic areas were being targeted and the people of these areas needed protection. Since the police force would not provide it the terrorists stepped in and took advantage of the situation to gain support from the left wing Origanal IRA who were finally at the negoiting table. The persecution of Catholics set back the problem roughly 30 years.

When the Catholics ruled Europe, they burned
    Protestants alive. So why can't the Protestants have one small corner where they can
    live in peace without fear that their religion will be outlawed?
    I dont know about you but this dosent look like a Protestent only country judging by census figures. What I am trying to say is that this is not a matter of letting Protestants live in a small part of Ireland it is a need for the two almost equal in number communities to co-exist peacefully.

The second report of the 2001 Census was published on 19 December 2002. The report provided information on the religious breakdown of the population. Based on two census questions, religion and religion brought up, the breakdown was reported as 43.76% Catholic, 53.13% Protestant, 0.39% Other, 2.72% none. (Where 'Protestant' represented 'Protestant and other Christian, including Christian related'; and where 'Other' represented 'Other religions and philosophies'). [Following the 1991 Census it was estimated that 41.5 per cent of the population was Catholic (based on revised figures).]

Read this to see how the British government uses terrorists by colluding with them to kill lawyers.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/n...nd/2954383.stm

And here is a timeline that should bring you through the history of Ireland

http://www.rootsweb.com/~fianna/history/

Oh and just one question, would you like it if we partitioned just a little bit of your country?

What I am trying to say is that this is not a matter of letting Protestants live in a small part of Ireland it is a need for the two almost equal in number communities to co-exist peacefully.
    They wouldn't be any where near equal in number if incorporated into the rest
    of Ireland. The protestants would be outvoted on every issue, and fear they would
    be persecuted.

Britain did not impose partition. When the Brits were prepared to grant independence,
    The protestants threatened civil war. Partition was negotiated, and most of
    the people accepted it as the best they could do in the circumstances.

Only a few hot heads still insist on fighting on.

This is a topic that is complex. I hope the people of ireland (and northern ireland) can work it out amicably.
    Trappedagainbyperfectlogic.

It's a gas!
    I live in the north of Ireland and i would dearly love a united Ireland, but to be honest, i cant see that happening in my lifetime!

The only reason that there is a partition in the island is, as Ennis said, due to a compromise that was reached in 1921 by one Michael Collins and the British government.

Regarding your question 'Should Ireland be a 32 county country', my answer is yes, but ask a protestant down the road from me and his answer will be no.

So make your own mind up!

Here is a question that perhaps the Irish here can answer. As I understand things the protestants in northern Ireland are church of England, correct? well last I checked the Anglicans where Catholic light, the pope recognizes the Anglican church and the Anglican church recognizes the Catholic church, the priests can cross churches with little problem, they can perform sacraments for each other, ect. ect.. so if the churches are reconciled why all the religious troubles with the followers?
    Who is more trustworthy then all of the gurus or Buddha’s?

As I understand things the protestants in northern Ireland are church of England, correct?
    Apparently not.

Presbyterian Church
    The second largest Christian denomination, and the largest Protestant Church in Northern Ireland.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/northernireland...inations.shtml