Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A basic Linux Question

Originally posted here by Networker
    James Hill: This topic had been discussed many, many times...

Do a quick search on site like "Linux distros", I'm sure u'll find everyth u need! Even answers to question u never thought before!

I'm getting bored with "what linux distro do u use?", "what best firewall?", ....

It's about 6 month I around on site, and I learn many things... but the quality of average threads is getting very poor (feel depressed).

James Hill, I'm not saying that u r a pain in the ass; u r just a brand new newbie & I can understand ur thread.
    But the think I don't understand is every one is replying "I use this", "I like this one...".
    Can't u just say "read the FAQ newbie..."

Men if u don't participate in getting newbies educated, will be submerged under a strom of crapy thread. (maybe it's already too late)

Networker - This is by far one of the most arrogant post i've read in a long time. He asked a legitimate question, and if you're not going to participate with helpful or relevant information, then simply don't post. You stated "I'm getting bored with what linux distros do u use" - Well guess what! AntiOnline isn't just about you is it!

Originally posted here by 2pumpChump

Networker - This is by far one of the most arrogant post i've read in a long time. He asked a legitimate question, and if you're not going to participate with helpful or relevant information, then simply don't post. You stated "I'm getting bored with what linux distros do u use" - Well guess what! AntiOnline isn't just about you is it!
    2pumpChump I don't think u really understood my point!!!

1- There is no pb with James Hill (by the way did I neg him? NO!). As I say I understand why he published the thread. And I think we can all be indulgent since it's one of its first post!

2- The answer to the question is within many previous threads... A search is easy if u r not to lazy.
    Therefore a valuable info for James is AOs FAQs & tuts...

3- This kinda threats are legions now... And my point is that if AOs are still answering to this type of thread there will be more & more..

It's an open discussion here and I think I can say honnestly what I think. So please find better arguments than just "u r arrogant".
    For instance u could propose smth on the subject: "What can we do the get AO to an upper standard?"
    [shadow] SHARING KNOWLEDGE[/shadow]

By far for someone like my, beggining to use Linux, I found RedHat, Caldera Open, and Mandrake to be the easiest to manage.
    I stopped using Mandrake just before the war. And would like to try SUse, and Gentoo. However I find they require kernel compiling, for my systems.
    RH 9 actually does not configure easily with my laptop video. There is definitly allot of support out ther for most of the distros.

Originally posted here by Networker
    James Hill: This topic had been discussed many, many times...

Do a quick search on site like "Linux distros", I'm sure u'll find everyth u need! Even answers to question u never thought before!

I'm getting bored with "what linux distro do u use?", "what best firewall?", ....

It's about 6 month I around on site, and I learn many things... but the quality of average threads is getting very poor (feel depressed).

James Hill, I'm not saying that u r a pain in the ass; u r just a brand new newbie & I can understand ur thread.
    But the think I don't understand is every one is replying "I use this", "I like this one...".
    Can't u just say "read the FAQ newbie..."

Men if u don't participate in getting newbies educated, will be submerged under a strom of crapy thread. (maybe it's already too late)
    Sorry buddy, but I'm disappointed by your negative attitude. If you are sick of seeing a particular question asked, don't look at it! There is no need to look at the question, much less reply to it. And when you see a thread called 'A Basic Linux Question", I certaintly would assume that it is a very simple question, and one that is asked often... I believe my 5th grade teacher called that "using context clues".

I do agree with you that someone should check for existing threads before they create a new one exactly like an existing one, but give the guy a break, aight?

And I do think they way in which people have responded shows an attempt to answer his question... I apologize on behalf of the entire AO community that these people haven't used your proper format... Perhaps "The only one worth using is..."? Or "RTFM, n00b!"?

*sigh*
    Back to packing.
    Ciao
    I know you\'re out there. I can feel you now. I know that you\'re afraid. You\'re afraid of us. You\'re afraid of change. I don\'t know the future. I didn\'t come here to tell you how this is going to end. I came here to tell you how it\'s going to begin. I\'m going to hang up this phone, and then I\'m going to show these people what you don\'t want them to see. I\'m going to show them a world without you, a world without rules and controls, without borders or boundaries. A world where anything is possible. Where we go from there is a choice I leave to you.

Hey sorrry guys didnt mean to start a Techie Catfight . I did read the newbie FAQ all the way through and as i said in my last post theres so much Info on this site i didnt know where to start so i decided to post a question. Thank you all for the wonderful informatio i have taken each of youre input into consideration and now have a wonderful idea of where to start with linux, And i agree if you get tired of seeing the same thread Dont Read It!

Hey sorrry guys didnt mean to start a Techie Catfight . I did read the newbie FAQ all the way through and as i said in my last post theres so much Info on this site i didnt know where to start so i decided to post a question. Thank you all for the wonderful informatio i have taken each of youre input into consideration and now have a wonderful idea of where to start with linux, And i agree if you get tired of seeing the same thread Dont Read It! And if someone had just said "Read the FAQ newbie!" it wouldnt have helped as like i said i read it!

Thumbs up

Well, I just thought I would make mention that I am very happy with Slackware and am currently using Slackware 8.1 and would throw my 2 cents in there IMHO. Not a lot of fluff and sticks to basics. I even have an old Slackware 7 and like it on an old Pentium 100 for messing around with.

Robert

er0k
    ummm....

even for a newbie.... slackware is easy enough.. once you get the **** installed... its called reading books/documentation... jeez..

Slackware=1*10^99 better than any other linux distro. err.. Gentoo is nice too.... Mandrake = hahahahahaa

Redhat = ugh.. no programming and wanna be windows updates ****..

Suse = Not my favourite because they are just like redhat capitalistically...

Debian = Decent..

Yellow Dog = Irrelevant..

etc etc etc

Slack = g0d

Wink

I would definitely agree that reading is the key, whether it be man pages, Linux Documentation Project guides or books etc. or going to a local bookstore and buy a book on the subject of interest (security/admin/scripting/programming/compiling/Samba etc.) Reading and doing together make a wonderful combination in learning and experience.

Robert