Thread: help!having this hdd problem

Question help!having this hdd problem

i really need help with my hdd
    it makes this stupid noice and when the noice starts, my whole system freezes

then i formatted my pc and installed 98

then it says disk write error!

its annoying me heaps

Old Fart
    Given that I don't know EXACTLY what a "stupid notice" actually says makes this one a hard call...the precision and amount of information you give in this forum is directly proportional to the likelihood of receiving correct answers to anyy questions you might ask. The same rule actually holds true for the entire site for that matter.

I'm betting you have bad sectors on your drive......it may be time to head over to www.pricewatch.com and do some shopping!
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

i really need help with my hdd
    it makes this stupid noice and when the noice starts, my whole system freezes

then i formatted my pc and installed 98

then it says disk write error!

its annoying me heaps
    Just another case of bad spelling... The HDD is probably is making squeeling, clunking or grinding noises.. You diagnosis is correct allenb.. he may also need to consider a extra fan.. to circulate air over/arround the new HDD..
    Most 7200rpm drives get bloody hot.. and if the system case has poor airflow and the system runs for more than a couple of hours at a time.. an extra fan circulating air around the HDD will be a darn good investment.. mind some brands can "take the Heat" better than others.. a cool drive lives longer..

Cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

I had the "Disk write error" with my hard drive and Windows 98, and it turned out to be that the IDE cable (The big wide grey one) was loose. Before going and spending out on a new hard drive, consider these things:

1. It could just be a loose cable, so open up your case and check.

2. It could be a virus, in which case you will need to use a program called "FDISK" instead of using "FORMAT". You will need to use this program to delete the primary partition in the hard drive and create a new one, then format it again and have another go at installing Windows 98.

3. The worst possible explanation is that the hard drive may just be damaged or is failing, in which case you should buy a new one.

cheers

Sharpshooter