Thread: a new american

a new american

ABC News anchor Peter Jennings has become an American citizen.

http://canada.com/national/story.asp...8-842B499D3A53

"It's been on my mind for many years, obviously, I've been here such a long time," he told CanWest News Service from his office in New York. "As a Canadian friend said to me today, I've always made clear my love for America. And it was a good time to formally declare that affection, along with a sense of debt and gratitude to the country that's made it possible for me to have a wonderful life both professionally and personally."

"I think that 9/11 and the subsequent travel I did in the country afterwards made me feel connected in new ways," he said. "And when we were working on the America project I spent a lot of time on the road, which meant away from my editor's desk, and I just got much more connected to the Founding Fathers' dreams and ideas for the future."

Mr. Jennings, who will retain his Canadian citizenship, quickly added: "That does not for a second, as any smart American will tell you, mean you have to renounce your roots."

+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+

sniff! sniff!....im really touched by this and hope it moves others the same way
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

surely you jest.

Peter Jennings is my least favorite news anchorman but at least, (at last?) he has made a commitment to the country.
    Trappedagainbyperfectlogic.

Well at least he's not as bad as that ***** Conrad Black! Remember what he did! He renouced his Canadian Citizenship just to become a Lord for the English. I hope that jerk is Lord of of Crapshire(figuritive place made of Crap).
    Not all those who wander are lost.

I was always under the impression that he was born here...hehe. Then again, i don't watch network news that often. Looks like a good move to me though.

I did a quick google search, and it seems quite a few popular people here in the States are indeed from Canada.

Banned
    God bless those crazy Canadians, eh!

He was Canadian? Geez...the best American news anchor is from Canada....that is just surprising. He does a great job though.
    Carrie: Someone\'s definition of what constitutes cheating is in direct proportion to how much they themselves want to cheat.
    Miranda: That\'s moral relativism!
    Carrie: I prefer to think of it as quantum cheating.

I didn't know he was from Canada either, but he should have become a citizen a long time ago. He's been here long enough to have anyways.
    --ZG78

Framework is right. A lot of people who are really famous in the US are from Canada. We have a smaller viewing audiance so it is hard for your media to compeate. Most Canadians Actors end up working in the US.
    Not all those who wander are lost.