Tolerance and Patience
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tolerance and Patience

AO's Mr Grumpy

Tolerance and Patience

This does not refer to any specific post's in any particular forum, but is more of a general observation about attitude's towards language. I think most members would agree, that there has been occasion's when some members standards of written English has been criticised, and in particular,members from countries whose 1st language is not English. My 1st and only language is English, and would be expected to be of a fairly high standard. I appreciate that this is an English speaking site, but it is also International, and just as it comprises members with differing levels of computer experise, it also comprises members whose1st language may not be English, but are bilingual or multilingual and should be congratulated for attempting to communicate in what is a foreign language, especially technical information. My ambition is to learn German at some time (lots of German channels still on old analogue sat system, probably be all off air and gone completely digital by time I learn anything). Sorry I digress. It is possible to communicate slightly more easily in a face to face situation, for example, tourist with car problem--- point to plugs, carb etc, but try writing it out in a foreign language and making it understandable, not so easy .With a little bit of tolerance and patience, we might all gain more than computer related knowledge
    Computer says no
    (Carol Beer)

Banned
    Jm I have to agree, But the clear problem is those of us who's first language is English but can'y speak or rather type it for anything. I hate this I have no problem with a couple of mistakes but an entire email full of them is crazy.

Whizkid2300

Banned

Trumpet-Eared Gentoo Freak
    Heh,

My first language is dutch, second in line is french and well... english just for fun.

Greetz,
    Come and check out our wargame-site @ http://www.rootcontest.org
    We chat @ irc.smdc-network.org #lobby

AO's Mr Grumpy
    Originally posted here by .: Shrekkie :.

My first language is dutch, second in line is french and well... english just for fun.
    A big plus on anybody's CV. I feel that a 2nd language today must rank alongside the need to have skill's, along with a driving licence and computer literacy.

I can only speak from experience, but my enthusiasim for French (the only other language offered when I was at school) was destroyed by the teaching methods at that time, i.e. a clip round the ear or 3 x belt for mistakes. I'm sure Shrekkie will correct me if I'm wrong, but I would imagine the majority of kids in Europe today are at least bilingual. I do not know any kids in my locality, my daughter's included, who are bilingual. I believe the opportunities exist, so, is it down to choice on the kid's part, or the educational system?. I don't know.
    Computer says no
    (Carol Beer)

Token drunken Irish guy
    Actually I think this is quite a good post, I see it a lot some poor guy trying to express something only to be shot down for sub standard English.

Oh and I know a fair bit of Spanish and speak fluent Irish which is not very useful more a kind of national pride thing. Anyway schools in Ireland and England dont focus much on language from what I hear. Its a shame Id love to know a few languages but at this age it is going to so much more difficult than learning growing up.

Ennis,

Banned
    I'm kinda like .: Shrekkie :.
    My fist language is Croatian....second is German........and English now cause I live in the USA now

I agree......and those of you who speek English as a second or even third language have nothing but the utmost respect coming from me. I think those who have trouble speaking English punish themselves because they are not good enough at expressing their question and therefore can't get as clear of a response. We don't need to flame them because they are already at a disadvantage. There are a couple of senior members on this site who seem to waste a lot of server space and bandwidth by flaming every person who comes here and makes a grammatical error. Now, for those who speek English as their first language and still don't get it right, there is hardly any excuse and it does kind of annoy me. I will never flame a person from another country for not speeking perfect english.
    -NeuTron

I guess I can throw in a fact about myself, I speak English and Spanish. I would like to learn French, just another goal for me before new years.

Cya
    First you listen, then you do, finally you teach.
    Duck Hunting Chat
    VirtualConvenience
    RROD

Banned
    First Language -> Polish
    Second Language -> English
    Third Lanuage -> Spanish
    Next (Most likely by the end of college) Language -> German