Thread: Security Benchmarking tool

Old Fart

Security Benchmarking tool

Curious about how tight your box is? If you're running Win 2k, 2k Pro, 2k Server, Solaris or Linux head over to CIS and download your FREE security benchmark tool. They don't have one posted for XP, and I can't try the 2k Pro version out yet cause I'm getting ready to wipe that partition and do a fresh install....I'm curious to see how poorly 2k Pro does fresh out of the box.

Looks interesting (and handy), so I thought I would share.
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

Thanks allenb1963, Nice security tools!

Nice find allenb1963, I'm scanning my personal laptop as I speak. This little tool looks to be pretty handy so far....
    - Maverick

Good tools, I use these for setting/reviewing baseline security on customers machines. I have some issues with hfnetchk.exe not being completely accurate but thats a small issue compared with the bigger problem on inadequate security.

I AM DOWNLOADING IT TO CHECK MY WIN2K PRO AND KEEP POSTING SUCH GOOD ONES
    Life is a shipwreck but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats. ~Voltaire

Are there any *good* ones for Win 9x/Me that you know of?
    Geek isn't just a four-letter word; it's a six-figure income.

AxessTerminated:

Not to be a smart ass... but, they probably didn't make one for 98 or ME because it has absolutely no security...

you need to pick a NT based m$ system for security.... (nt, 2k, xp, 2k3)
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

I believe that the NT/2000 portion contains XP sp1 capabilities also.
    WHAT'S NEW IN v2.1.9 of the CIS Scoring Tool?

* Update Service Pack and hotfix scoring to properly score Windows 2000 SP4, Windows XP SP1, and Windows 2003 server
    * Include HFNetChk 3.86 (replacing HFNetChk 3.32>
    * Update to RestrictAnonymous scoring for Windows XP/2003
    * Add scoring of RestrictAnonymousSAM for Windows XP/2003
    * Update to scoring of NoLMHash
    * Update to Appendix C:Security Templates of the Implemenation Guide
    * Include latest versions of all templates distributed with the tool, including the latest NIST, NSA, and Microsoft security templates
    * Include updated Terms of Use Agreement
    * Include updated security templates after synchronization of the benchmark and security emplates settings
    * Minor bug fixes
    I am downloading it and will read the documentation in it.
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

CIS has also developed benchmarks for Various OS and even CISCO routers.. which I guess are good handy document for OS security personnel....

It gives detailed explanation of how to able / disable the parameter within the OS....

Thanks alen for sharing the info......
    ****** Any man who knows all the answers most likely misunderstood the questions *****